1. Hormones act at specific target organs because these organs contain _receptors_ specific for the hormones.
2. Growth hormone, secreted by the _anterior pituitary _ gland, stimulates growth of bones and muscle by activating intermediary proteins called _somatomedins_.
3. _Peptide_ (hormone) from the anterior pituitary stimulates secretion of cortisol from the _pituitary_ (gland). The anterior pituitary consists of _glandular_ tissue.
4. The parafollicular or C-cells of the _thyroid_ gland produce _calcitonin_, a peptide hormone that lowers plasma calcium levels.
5. Hormones secreted by the pancreatic islets of the pancreas include _glucagon_ from the α cells and _insulin_ from the β cells. Which of these hormones raise blood glucose levels? Glucagon
6. Specialized muscle cells in the heart produce _atrial natriuretic peptide_ (hormone), which increases excretion of _sodium_ (electrolyte) by the kidneys.
7. _PTH_ (hormone) promotes the final conversion of vitamin D to _calcitonin_ in the kidney.
8. _gastrin_ (hormone) produced by G-cells in the pyloric antrum stimulates _HCI_ secretion in the stomach.
9. One ventral hypothalamic hormone (_CRH_) is essential for the stress response and another (_dopamine_) inhibits release of prolactin.
10. _FSH__ (hormone) is a stimulus for sperm production in the male and maturation of ovarian follicles in the female.
11. _Melatonin__, secreted by the pineal gland, helps regulate body activities with the light-dark cycle.
12. The zona glomerulosa of the adrenal cortex primarily produces the hormone _alldosterone__, which acts on the _kidneys__ (organ) to increase _Na+__ (electrolyte) reabsorption.
13. _adrenal medulla_ (gland) is a modified sympathetic ganglion producing the amine hormones known as __catecholamines__. This category of amine hormones includes both _epinephrine__ and __norepinephrine_ (two hormones).
14. The testes__ (organ) produces a steroid hormone... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 05). Endocrine System: Endocrine System Review. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Endocrine-System-Endocrine-System-Review-709199.html
"Endocrine System: Endocrine System Review" StudyMode.com. 05 2011. 2011. 05 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Endocrine-System-Endocrine-System-Review-709199.html>.
- MLA 7
"Endocrine System: Endocrine System Review." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 05 2011. Web. 05 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Endocrine-System-Endocrine-System-Review-709199.html>.
"Endocrine System: Endocrine System Review." StudyMode.com. 05, 2011. Accessed 05, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Endocrine-System-Endocrine-System-Review-709199.html.