REGULATION REVIEW - HONORS
1. Explain how the endocrine system aids humans in maintaining homeostasis.
2. Consider the following diagram of the human endocrine system: [pic]
a. Label each number with the appropriate term.
b. Which numbered structure produces hormones that regulate blood sugar levels?
c. Which numbered structure produces hormones that stimulate egg production?
d. Which numbered structure is directly involved in the “fight or flight” response?
3. Explain the differences and similarities between the nervous and endocrine systems.
4. Describe the role the circulatory system plays in the functioning of the endocrine system.
5. Consider the following diagram of the endocrine system: [pic]
a. Briefly explain why the hormones bind to the target cell but not the non-target cells?
b. If the hormone released in the diagram is ACTH, where in the human body would the target cells be located?
6. What common characteristic do hormones, antibodies, and enzymes all share?
7. Why are feedback mechanisms important in the maintenance of homeostasis?
8. How would a person be affected if their pancreas produced no insulin? What disease would that person have? How could that disease be treated?
9. Matching: From the list below, select the hormone that best fits each of the following descriptions. (Choices may be used once, more than once, or not at all) A. FSH K. PTH
B. LHL. Oxytocin
C. TSHN. ADH
D. HGHO. Adrenaline
E. ACTHP. Aldosterone
F. ThyroxinQ. Glucagon
G. CalcitoninR. Insulin
H. Cortisol S. Estrogen
I. Testosterone W. Progesterone
1. ______ Hormone produced...