ELLE Magazine Publication and Audience Analysis

Topics: Target market, Fashion magazines, Fashion Pages: 5 (1616 words) Published: October 29, 2011
ELLE Magazine Publication & Audience Analysis
Introduction of Publication. ELLE is a fashion magazine that began in France in 1945 when sellers were transitioning from the sales-oriented era into the market-oriented era, which is characterized by marketing based on a determined target market and focusing on what consumers want and need. Adhering to this prevailing notion of the time, ELLE’s aspiration to advise females of the latest trends in fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and relationships has satisfied many women’s needs and wants by inspiring them to begin a new life after World War II. Targeted User Profile and Audience Dimensions. ELLE employs a unique mix of all four segmentation techniques, namely geographic, demographic, psychographic, and behavioural segmentation. Geographically, ELLE segments their market nationally, distributing different issues in different countries to account for the variation in fashion sense and consumer behaviour. In fact, it is currently the largest fashion magazine, with 39 international editions in 60 countries. With respect to demographics, ELLE’s readers are composed of 90% females and the median age of all readers is 33.2, with approximately 54% ranging from ages 18 to 34 and 52% from 25 to 49. This indicates that ELLE’s target market consists mostly of middle-aged women and less of teenagers, as is evidenced throughout the magazine which is dominated by clothing advertisements with mature styles and through the “ELLE Beauty Anti-Aging” section of the magazine. ELLE targets female audiences with photographs of beautiful female models in fashionable clothes and make-ups, and also with features such as ELLE Shops, ELLE Beauty, ELLE Fashion, and ELLE Fitness. Moreover, ELLE’s readers are high income earners with a median HHI of $71, 894 and 47.7% of readers have incomes higher than $75,000. The number of employed readers forms 68.4% of ELLE’S total readers, corresponding to the large proportion of high income earners. As Robbie Myers, Editor in Chief, says: “Our readers are young enough to think about life as an adventure and old enough to have the means to live it” (Wikipedia). Reach/Breadth of Circulation. ELLE has an average circulation of 1,105,456 copies, with 813,879 (74%) copies accounting for subscriptions and the remaining 291,577 (26%) are single sales. This indicates that the majority of ELLE’s consumers are loyal, which consistently contributes to ELLE’s revenue stream. ELLE retains 30.5% of the total market share, which is the largest share among all its competitors. Furthermore, there is an average of 4.87 readers per copy of ELLE’s magazine, indicating a total reach of 5,383,571 readers. Even with a price of $4.16, which is one of the more expensive fashion magazines, ELLE is able to maintain its market share due successful marketing to its determined target market of high income earners who can afford luxury items.

Chamilia Advertisement & Integration Discussion
Description of Advertisement. Chamilia is an international jewellery company that sells customized jewellery according to customer’s requests. Unlike other advertisements in the magazine, Chamilia distinguishes its advertisement by using a cartoon drawing of a town instead of a professional photo shoot of a model. The whole drawing is black and white except for the grand fountain in the centre of the picture, which is represented by two large red beads stacked one over the other. Surrounding the fountain are houses, some in the shape of a high-heel boot, some like lipsticks, and some like perfume bottles. Moreover, within each window are beads that are also presented with colour, which captures the audience’s attention from the rest of the picture. Walking around in the town are businessmen and women holding suitcases, implying the advertisement’s targeted market. The picture fills the top half of the page, leaving the bottom of the page for a short paragraph written in gold and titled in bold: “Welcome to...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Magazine Analysis Essay
  • The Audience Analysis Essay
  • Audience Analysis Essay
  • Audience Analysis Essay
  • Audience Analysis Essay
  • Elle: Novel Analysis Essay
  • Essay about Popular Science Magazine Analysis
  • Analysis of Natural Health Magazine Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free