Born: November 26, 1948, Hobart, Australia, (age63).
Citizenship: Australian and American
Fields: Molecular Biology
Institution: University of California Berkeley, University of California San Francisco, Yale University, the Salk Institute.
Alma- mater: University of Melbourne, Darwin College Cambridge.
Doctoral Advisor: Frederick Sanger
Doctoral Student: include Carol W. Greider
Discoveries: Telomerase- is a good guy because it helps produce immune cells and stops telomeres from shortening, but it can also make cells immortal, which prompts them to turn malignant. Because of the enzyme’s properties, it may eventually be the basis for therapies to combat cancer, heart disease, and diabetes—perhaps even halt the ravages of age.
Awards and Honours
* Eli Lilly Research Award for Microbiology and Immunology (1988)
* National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology (1990)
* Honorary Doctorate of Science from Yale University (1991)
* Harvey Society Lecturer at the Harvey Society in New York (1990)
* Fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1991)
* Fellow of Royal Society of London (1992)
* Fellow of American Academy of Microbiology (1993)
* Australia Prize (1998)
* Gairdner Foundation International Award (1998)
* Harvey Prize (1999)
* Keio Medical Science Prize (1999)
* California Scientist of the Year in (1999)
* California Hall of Fame (2011)
* American Association for Cancer Research - G.H.A. Clowes Memorial Award (2000)
* American Cancer Society Medal of Honor (2000)
* Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (2000)
* Academy of Achievement's Golden Plate Award (2000)
* AACR-Pezcoller Foundation International Award for Cancer Research (2001)
* General Motors Cancer Research Foundation Alfred P. Sloan Award (2001)
* E.B.Wilson Award of the American Society for Cell Biology (2001)... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). Elizabeth Blackburn. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Elizabeth-Blackburn-1243411.html
"Elizabeth Blackburn" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Elizabeth-Blackburn-1243411.html>.
- MLA 7
"Elizabeth Blackburn." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Elizabeth-Blackburn-1243411.html>.
"Elizabeth Blackburn." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Elizabeth-Blackburn-1243411.html.