Education and Social Change
Education in Technical Sense.
Is the process by which society; through schools, colleges, universities, and other institutions, deliberately transmits its cultural heritage – its accumulated knowledge, values, and skills – from one generation to another. Social Change
* a response to many type of change that take place on the social and non-social environment * Generally affected by the agents of socialization
* A prominent American philosopher and professor of the late 1800s and early 1900s * Father of Progressivism
* Progressivism was derived from pragmatism
*John Dewey wrote the Essay on “Education and Social Change*
EDUCATION AND SOCIAL CHANGE
* “How schools” participate in the Social Change
* Dewey supports the notion that society is constantly changing, and that education reflects, generates, and guides social change. * *There is some confusion in how the school lead the society *Definition by the “Conservatives”
Those People who are considered to be traditionalists. They want the old ways rather than the new ways. * Conservatives are opposed to modernism and progressivism * Conservatives believe that schools should not influence or guide social change * They favor older types of study and “disciplinary methods” in schools (Dewey, 2001, p. 335).
“Impotence of Education”
* Those who represent dominant and economic political regime, together with the conservatives, believes that education does not influence social order or social change. * Economy is the influence, and education merely reflects this social order and the dominant economic class. * Nothing can change without overthrowing this dominant economic class and replacing it with another, not even for education. * Dewey argues that if all of this were true, then any coup of the current dominant economic class would also have to bring with it other changes in the morals,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document