THE DYNAMIC NEW WORKPLACE
CHAPTER 1 STUDY QUESTIONS
In studying this chapter, students should consider the following questions:
* What are the challenges of working in the new economy? * What are organizations like in the new workplace?
* Who are managers and what do they do?
* What is the management process?
* How do you learn the essential managerial skills and competencies? *
* CHAPTER 1 LEARNING OBJECTIVES *
* After completing this chapter, students should be able to: *
* Describe the nature of the new economy.
* Explain the organizational and managerial implications of important trends regarding intellectual capital, globalization, technology, diversity, ethics, and careers. * Identify and describe critical skills for success in the new workplace. * Define organization and explain how organizations operate as open systems. * Define productivity and explain the relationships between productivity, performance effectiveness, and performance efficiency. * Discuss the changing nature of organizations.
* Define the terms manager and management.
* Describe the different levels and types of managers and discuss the activities and responsibilities associated with each. * Define accountability and explain how and why managers are held accountable for performance and quality of work life. * Discuss the changing nature of managerial work and explain how the “upside-down pyramid” reflects these changes. * Describe the management process and explain the interrelationships among the four functions of management. * Identify and describe key managerial activities and roles. * Discuss the importance of managerial agendas and networks. * Identify and describe key managerial skills and competencies and explain how they vary across management levels.
CHAPTER 1 OVERVIEW
The world of work is undergoing dynamic and challenging changes that provide great opportunities along with tremendous uncertainty. These changes are due to the impact of important trends regarding intellectual capital, globalization, technology, diversity, ethics, and careers. Today, individual and
organizational success must be forged within workplaces that are constantly reinventing themselves. Themes such as empowerment, involvement, participation, self-management, and teamwork are common, as people manage careers described as flexible and entrepreneurial. To excel in such settings, organizations must utilize human capital to the fullest potential.
Management is a pervasive element of modern life and a key to organizational performance. Organizations need managers to guide the activities of their members toward goal accomplishment. The chapter begins by describing the changing nature of organizations, and the roles that managers play in meeting the challenges of the modern workplace. The bulk of the chapter examines the work of managers, with emphasis being placed on the responsibilities associated with different levels and types of managers; managerial accountability for performance and quality of work life; the changing nature of managerial work; the functions of management; and key managerial roles, activities, and skills. The chapter concludes with a discussion of the learning framework for learning provided by Management 7/E.
CHAPTER 1 OUTLINE
I.Introduction to the Chapter 1 lecture.
Study questions for Chapter 1
Overview of the new economy
II.What are the challenges of working in the new economy?
Characteristics of the new economy
III.What are organizations like in the new workplace?
Overview of organizations in...