Dove Marketing

Topics: Marketing, Product management, Market segmentation Pages: 7 (1578 words) Published: November 23, 2012

Selection Of The Product
The Product chosen by me is Dove
Company is Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL)

Company Profile

HUL is India’s largest FMCG Company with a span of over 75 years. Having 35 brands spanning 20 distinct categories such as soaps, shampoos, detergents, cosmetics, toothpastes, skin care, deodorants, tea, coffee, ice cream, packaged foods and water purifiers, the Company is a part of the daily life of millions of consumers across India. Over 16,000 employees and annual turnover of around Rs.19, 401 crores (financial year 2010 - 2011). HUL is a subsidiary of Unilever and leading supplier of fast moving consumer goods with powerful local hold in more than 100 countries all over the world with annual sales of about €44 billion for 2011. Unilever has about 52% shareholding with HUL.

Particulars| Total Numbers | Comments|
Brands| More than 35| Well established brands catering to various market Segments| Products| More than 250| Huge umbrella of product family and product line| Direct retail coverage | 600,000 | Includes both on and off premise outlets | Household reach | 80% | Every 2 in 3 Indian uses HUL product | Shelf availability | 84% across India | Very deep market reach of |


Dove’s started off in the US in 1957; is leading brand of Unilever globally. Dove is marketed in 80 countries worldwide with a range of products from lotions, body washes, skin care and moisturising creams. Dove hair care range was brought to consumers in 1998 in Europe and in 2003 in North America. HUL launched the Dove hair care range in May, 2007 which included shampoos, conditioners, and revitalizing masks. Dove became the fastest growing shampoo brand in the country in a short period of time of around 13 months. The range claims to deliver the moisture promise of Dove. It has a specific formulation of chemicals which are mild and soft to the skin composition. Dove enjoys a star position for damage repair and therapy. Dove has hair care products that repair damage to the hair. The new Zero Damage System range includes ‘daily therapy’ shampoo, ‘dry therapy’ shampoo and conditioner, ‘breakage therapy’ shampoo, conditioner, serum and hair-mask. Context

Indian hair care is divided into categories

Hair oil


styling products,

herbal remedies and

hair-dyes and colors.

Sachet sales contribute approximately 40%,. Hair care and shampoos targets upper middle class, middle class and upper class rural customers. Market is expanding to lower class too. Main consumer categories targeted are women. The usage of shampoo in Indian society has evolved with increasing rate. Today average usage in Indian population comes out to be2-3 times a week. Use of conditioners is still mostly in the super premium segment. Indian women require more shampoo as compared to western women because of thicker texture, longer average. Awareness counts for about 90% in urban areas giving 80% of total consumption whereas; in rural areas awareness counts for about 80% which is for the remaining 20% of consumption.

Market Scenario Product Category: Hair Care

The hair care market in India is valued at $200 million with a growth of 3.8% year by year. The hair care market includes

1. hair oils.

2. shampoos.

3. hair colorants & conditioners.

4. hair gels.

Shampoos The shampoo market carries a value of Rs 4.5 billion with market penetration level of only 13% in India. Shampoos are available in the form of shampoo bottles of different volumes as well as 8ml sachets. Sachet makes up to 40% of the total shampoo sale. The shampoo market in India is divided into:

* Cosmetic

* Anti-dandruff

More than 50% of the population uses soaps for hair care. The shampoo penetration is only 30% in metros. The major players in the today’s shampoo market are HUL, and Procter & Gamble.


Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Integrated Marketing Communication Essay
  • Essay on Rita Dove
  • Marketing and Dove Essay
  • The Wings of a Dove Essay
  • Essay on Dove Real Beauty Campaign
  • Rita Dove Essay
  • Writing Style of Rita Dove Essay
  • Thomas at the Wheel by Rita Dove Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free