Does Ford Need to Change Its Corporate Culture?
I. Introduction – Segment length: 1:00. Total: 1:00
a. Relationship of Topic to Course
ii. Power and Politics
iii. Decision Making
iv. Organizational Culture and Development
b. Topic question: Does Ford need to change its corporate culture?
c. Answer: Yes, mistakes in corporate decision making and failure to keep up with competition has left Ford’s market share dwindling.
i. Survey (Primary)
ii. Secondary research
II. Supporting Arguments - Segment length: 4:00. Total: 5:00
a. Automotive design
i. Ford Explorer
1. When it debuted in 1990, the Explorer quickly became the best selling sport-utility vehicle in the US. It held that spot for most of the next 16 years. In 2007 the Explorer was 10th in sales. While some of the numbers were dampened by Ford’s own Edge and Escape, the three best selling SUVs were a Honda, Toyota, and a Chevrolet (Edmunds).
ii. Ford Taurus
1. The Taurus was the number one selling car in America from 1992 through 1996. In 1997, as part of a recurring theme, it lost its title to a Japanese rival, the Toyota Camry (wikipedia).
2. In 2006, it didn’t even make the top 10 list. (Vella)
iii. Ford’s crucial mistake
1. In the late ‘90s and early 2000’s, Ford saw its SUV sales skyrocketing. It decided to put its eggs in that basket. A corporate culture of arrogance and entitlement led them to neglect their cars. They assumed that the cars had always sold well and would no matter what. Because of this lackluster approach, the Japanese cars blew right by them in quality and design.
2. With gas prices up and the economy not as good as it was in the late 1990’s, people began to steer away from gas guzzling large SUV’s.
3. Taurus-Camry-Accord graphic
4. In the 8 years from ’00 to ’07 of that Ford Taurus’s design run, there were three different Camry’s. Toyota stayed fresh and cutting edge in design, while continuing to build on... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 05). Does Ford Need to Change Its Corporate Culture?. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Does-Ford-Need-Change-Its-Corporate-148198.html
"Does Ford Need to Change Its Corporate Culture?" StudyMode.com. 05 2008. 05 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Does-Ford-Need-Change-Its-Corporate-148198.html>.
"Does Ford Need to Change Its Corporate Culture?." StudyMode.com. 05, 2008. Accessed 05, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Does-Ford-Need-Change-Its-Corporate-148198.html.