WHAT IS DISASTER?
Natural or man-caused event which causes intense negative impacts on people, goods and services and/or the environment, exceeding the affected community’s internal capability to respond adequately.
It is the potential for a natural or man-caused event to occur with negative consequences. A hazard becomes a disaster when the event causes intense negative impacts on people, goods and services. Hazards could classified in five groups: Natural Disaster, Technology disaster, Health disaster, Crime Disaster and Personal/man-made disaster.
* Natural disaster (hurricane, tornado, flood, fire)
* Technology disaster: building failure (roof collapse, water pipes burst) or computer failure (data or hardware lost or in jeopardy)
* Health disaster (epidemics, environmental catastrophe)
* Crime disaster: violent crime (workplace assault, hostage situation, bomb detonation, robbery) and cybercrime (hacking, identity theft/phishing, employee sabotage)
* Personal disaster (sudden death or disability, succession crisis due to retirement or illness)
The extent to which a community’s structure, services or environment is likely to be damaged or disrupted by the impact of a hazard. Vulnerability can be changed via prevention, mitigation and development activities.
The probability that a disaster will occur given the hazard and vulnerability.
A collective term encompassing all aspects of planning for and responding to disasters, including both pre- and post disaster activities. It refers to both the risk and consequences of a disaster.
The cumulative and lasting increase, tied to social changes, in the quantity and quality of a community’s goods, services and resources, with the purpose of maintaining and improving the security and quality of human life.
The idea here is that disasters happen in cycles. Parallel with the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 08). Disaster Management Communications Plan - Case Study, Nevis. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Disaster-Management-Communications-Plan-Case-762338.html
"Disaster Management Communications Plan - Case Study, Nevis" StudyMode.com. 08 2011. 08 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Disaster-Management-Communications-Plan-Case-762338.html>.
"Disaster Management Communications Plan - Case Study, Nevis." StudyMode.com. 08, 2011. Accessed 08, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Disaster-Management-Communications-Plan-Case-762338.html.