On March 14 2000, Simon & Schuster Inc. published Stephen King's short story Riding The Bullet exclusively as an ebook. More than 400,000 copies were downloaded in the first 48 hours--overwhelming some Web sites and online publishers. The publishing industry had finally come of age . It had gone digital What does Digital publishing imply ? Quite simply , digital publishing means publishing books into an electronic format , without any use of paper whatsover . Technologies such as the Internet, electronic editing, print-on-demand, online subscription services, and E-books are beginning to transform the publishing industry. These technologies can save time, cut costs, and give publishers greater options and flexibility. They also hold the potential to make any information ever written available at any time to a much wider audience at a lower cost.
New Technologies in the Publishing industry are :
• Print on Demand : Print on Demand or simply POD is a printing technology in which new copies of a book (or other document) are not printed until an order has been received . POD fuels a new category of publishing (or printing) company that offers services directly to authors who wish to self-publish, usually for a fee. These services generally include printing and shipping a book each time one is ordered .
• Technical set-up is usually quicker than for offset printing.
• There is little or no waste from unsold products.
• Large inventories of a book or print material do not need to be kept in stock, reducing storage, handling costs, and inventory accounting costs
• However, print-on-demand is an expensive mean of publishing as the publishers book must invest in high-quality, high-speed printers in stores and online distribution centers,
Online Subscription Service : online subscription services enables people to have access to a publishers entire works on the the internet itself for a monthly or a year subscription fee . Most newspapers nowadays offer online subscription services hence ensuring that geographical limitations do not come into question ! You can read the Deccan Chronicle sitting in your office in Detroit ! That’s the power of digital publishing . Ofcourse a drawback is that online subscription service do take away some charm from joy of the reading a morning newspaper .
E-Books : An E-book, as defined by the Oxford Dictionary of English, is "an electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a personal computer or hand-held device designed specifically for this purpose". E-books are usually read on dedicated hardware devices known as e-Readers . Personal computers and some cell phones can also be used to read e-books.
Advantages : Same as ‘How has DP changed the Publishing industry ‘
E-book readers are more susceptible to damage from being dropped or hit than a print book. Due to faults in hardware or software, e-book readers may malfunction and data loss can occur.
Screen glare and eyestrain are a serious concern for many potential users of e-book technology. A major worry of reading from an e-book reader could hurt the eyes. The display resolution of computer screens and electronic devices is considerably less than the print quality produced by a printing press.
Ebooks are heavily dependant on hardware, Internet connection or battery power , unlike printed books which require no such resources to function...