1. Truth: “As Mr. Radley passed by, Boo drove the scissors into his parent’s leg, pulled them out, wiped them on his pants, and resumed his activities.” (Ch.1 p.13)
1. Stephanie Crawford is talking to Jem about what Boo had done. She says that Boo stabbed his dad with scissors and carried on with his activities innocently. This quote is significant because, it shows how fearless and evil Boo Radley can be towards anybody. This makes the reader think that Boo is just a kid who cares nothing of his actions, he may seem innocent but as everybody knows he can be very dangerous.
2. Truth: “The sheriff hadn’t the heart to put him in jail alongside Negroes, so Boo was locked in the courthouse basement.” (Ch.1 p.14)
2. Stephanie Crawford is still talking to Jem here about what happened to Boo after the stabbing. She says that instead of being put into jail with the African Americans he was just locked inside of a room by himself. This quote is important because, is shows that people care for one another at least a little bit when they are the same skin ton but, if it was a black man that did it he would have been put into jail. This makes the reader see how they treated one another based on skin tone.
3. Rumor: “When peoples azaleas froze in a cold snap, it was because he had breathed on them.” (Ch.1 p.10)
3. This is one of the rumors that Jem and Scout had heard from people around the neighborhood. They are basically saying whatever he breathed on ended up dying. This quote shows significance because they are referring to him as a demon child, every little crime in the town was his fault, and everything that died was also his fault. This makes the reader think that Boo is a very deadly child that is to be blamed for everything.
4.Rumor: “Radley pecans would kill you.” (Ch. 1 p.11)
4. This is a rumor that everyone talks about in the little town of Maycomb. They say that there is a pecan tree that the Radley’s have and nobody...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document