| St. Vincent and the Grenadines Community CollegeAssociate Degree ProgrammeMID-SEMESTER EXAMINATIONS 2013
| COURSE TITLE: Developmental PsychologyCOURSE CODE: PSY202SEMESTER: 2 (SAMPLE TEST)DATE: Wednesday 6st March 2013 TIME: 11:00 amDURATION: 2 hours INSTRUCTIONS:
| This paper consists of eight (8) pages and three (3) sections: Section A: Twenty (20) multiple choice questions worth a total of 20 marks. Section B: Ten (10) matching questions worth a total of 10 marks. Students should attempt ALL questions in this section. Write your answers on the writing paper provided. Section C: Nine (9) short answer questions worth a total of 30 marks. ALL QUESTIONS ARE COMPULSORY
SECTION A: Multiple-choice questions
Instructions for Section AAnswer ALL questions in this section. Record your choice on your answer sheet (eg 1. D ).
1. The study of changes in behaviour from conception to death encompasses a. gerontology
c. developmental psychology
d. social psychology
2. A researcher creates a situation on a school playground in which children are excluded one by one from a group game
by the teacher so that their emotional reactions can be
studied. What kind of research method is this?
a. structured observation
b. case study
d. correlational study
3. Which research strategy simultaneously compares individuals of different ages? a. cross-sectional
4. According to __________, all children pass through a series of distinct stages in their intellectual development. a. Piaget
5. Which psychologist contended that "trust versus mistrust" is the first psychological stage? a. Jean Piaget
b. Erik Erikson
c. Sigmund Freud
d. Lev Vygotsky
6. Preoperational means that a child cannot yet perform:
a. reversible mental actions.
b. symbolic thinking.
c. intuitive reasoning.
d. mental representation of an unseen object.
7. According to Bronfenbrenner's theory, the macrosystem is __________. a. the patterning of environmental events and transitions over the life course b. the culture in which individuals live
c. involved when experiences in another social setting influence what the individual experiences in an immediate context d. the overarching system which includes all of these factors and more
8. Harlow's finding that baby monkeys prefer a terrycloth surrogate mother to a wire mother demonstrates the importance of a. imprinting or critical periods
b. contact comfort
d. good nutrition
9. When we say a child's thinking is less abstract than an adult's, we mean that a. children use more examples and generalizations.
b. children use more principles, but require fewer generalizations. c. children use fewer generalizations, categories, and principles. d. adults base their understanding of the world more on particular examples and tangible sensations
10. Joey is watching a horse race. He knows that his dog at home has four legs, a tail, and fur. When he sees the horses, he shouts out “Doggies.” Joey is demonstrating
11. Emily, who has brown eyes, has one dominant gene and one recessive gene. When we describe her actual genetic makeup, we are describing her __________. a. DNA
c. reaction range
12. Humans have __________ pairs of chromosomes.
d. an undetermined number of
13. The sex chromosomes of females are ______ and the sex chromosomes of males are ______. a. YY, XX
b. XX, XY
c. XY, XX
d. XX, Y
14. The component of a chromosome that controls heredity is ____. a. proteins
15. The stage of prenatal development in which the neural tube develops into the brain and spinal cord is the a. Germinal Stage...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document