The six (6) principles outlined by Kinnucan-Welsch, Rosemary and Grogan (2006) in designing an effective Professional Development Plan are:
1. Training opportunities should be directly linked to student achievement goals: It is evident that the Personal Development Plan is aligned to the students needs. Based on the needs assessment data, the students are not performing at an acceptable standard. Therefore, the teacher capitalized on such medium to develop her skills so as to address her students’ needs effectively. As such, she decided to develop and implement the usage of the Balanced Literacy Approach in conjunction with Guided Reading.
2. Training should involve active learning opportunities for teachers: Objective 1, activity 2 and 3 reveal the teacher ensuring that she attended a workshop in order to again insight and knowledge where she could execute relevant approaches in a classroom setting. Therefore, evidence of the related content grasped at the workshop will definitely be reflected in her classroom practice. After viewing objective 3 activity it was realized that assistance was sought by her from the literacy specialist in conducting literacy assessment.
3. Training should be job-embedded and classroom relevant: The teacher ensured that the focus areas selected for development were aligned with the specific and critical needs of students in that, with reference to the present performances of her low and high students, she received guidance from the reading specialist and literacy coach
4. Training should be continuous and ongoing: The teacher made sure that she equipped and educated herself on the Balanced Literacy Approach as a guideline through her development. In addition she was present at various workshops and at meetings with literacy coach. There were instances where she did ongoing assessments.
5. Training should be inquiry based: The teacher wanted to ensure... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). Designing Effective Professional Development Plan. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Designing-Effective-Professional-Development-Plan-984566.html
"Designing Effective Professional Development Plan" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Designing-Effective-Professional-Development-Plan-984566.html>.
"Designing Effective Professional Development Plan." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Designing-Effective-Professional-Development-Plan-984566.html.