Economic growth and progress today means improvement in all of the following: 1. Sustained increase in GNP per capita in real terms and on purchasing power basis for comparison with other countries/ past years, 2. Better Income distribution
3. Sustained growth of Informal and household sector production 4. Lowering of social and environmental cost including cost of depletion of nonrenewable resources 5. Lowering of Energy input/GDP ratio
6. Community-based economic harmony
7. Lower (reasonable) Military/civilian budget ratio
8. Growth of infrastructure and public resources
9. Better Education: literacy levels, school dropout and repetition rates 10. Better Health: infant mortality, low birth weight, weight/height/age ratio 11. Better Nutrition: e.g., calories per day, protein/carbohydrates ratio, etc. 12. Adequate expansion of basic services: telephones, water, sanitation, electrification, etc. 13. Shelter: housing availability/quality, etc.
14. Better Child development
15. Stronger civil society, greater and freer participation of people in Political participation and democratic process.