Due: Monday, Feb. 25
1) Read the article posted on Blackboard titled “Brazil’s Girl Power.”
2) From the article, explain several reasons why Brazil’s fertility rate has dropped so dramatically over the past few decades.
3) Choose one country from the list below. Find that country’s TFR in 2013 and compare it to the TFR in 1960 (listed below). This is available from the U.S. Census International Database: http://www.census.gov/population/international/data/idb/country.php. You must state the TFR in 1960 and in 2013 in your paper.
4) Explain how the country you chose in #3 fits into the explanations provided by the article for declining fertility rates. What has caused the substantial drop in the TFR for the country you chose? To support your explanation, you must include specific, cited examples of social attitudes, government policies, or evidence of economic development that likely impacted fertility rates. You must draw your examples from at least one additional source, although the more, the better.
List of countries and TFR in 1960:
Format and other guidelines:
* You will turn in a 2-3 page (at minimum), double-spaced, typed paper. Margins should not be excessively large and headings should not be excessively long. Papers must be 2 pages long at the very minimum, but no there is no upper limit on length.
* Your paper must address items 2, 3, and 4 in that order. Please separate with paragraphs.
* Your paper must include in-text citations in the APA or MLA format.
* You must include a bibliography or works cited page. You must cite the “Brazil’s Girl Power” article, a source for your country’s 2013 TFR and at least one additional source. These sources must be cited in APA or MLA format and you must indicate either APA or MLA at the top of your...