1. (p. 30) When researchers lowered the levels of illumination in the room at the Hawthorne plant's study site, they noticed a drop in the levels of productivity. (1) T/F
2. (p. 35) According to Ouchi, American-type organizations are characterized by rapid evaluation and promotion, and nonspecialized career paths. (1) T/F
3. (p. 23) The _____ encompassed the period when the United States began to shift from an almost totally agrarian society to an industrialized society. (1) A. U.S. Civil War
B. Renaissance Period
C. Golden Age
D. Industrial Revolution
E. Great Depression
4. (p. 26) The scientific method involved finding "_____" to perform a task. (1) A. alternate way
B. the lowest cost
C. the one best way
E. low dependencies
5. (p. 27) Frank and Lillian Gilbreth used motion picture films to eliminate (1) A. systems.
D. wasted motion.
6. (lecture) Discuss Taylor’s Principles of Scientific Management as it relates to Pig Iron loading. (2)
7. (p. 46-47) Managers must be able to do all of the following except (1) A. motivate people.
B. provide direction to the people who work for them.
C. convince customers.
D. persuade other people.
E. ensure uniform perception.
8. (p. 54) One of the most important principles for writing a good document is (1) A. use of business terms.
C. passive voice in favor of active voice.
D. use emotional phrases to add familiarity.
E. authoritarian tone.
9. (p. 51) What are some of the traits of a good listener? (2)
10. (p. 4) _____ managers make sure that day-to-day operations run smoothly. (1) A. Middle
11. (p. 5) When a manager is deciding on what kind of people his organization needs to meet its goals and then recruits, selects and trains the right people he is (1) A. planning.
12. (p. 8) Technical skills are _____ important at _____ levels of management. (1) A. equally; all
B. most; middle
C. least; middle
D. most; low
E. most; high
13. (lecture) Dee Hock’s states that a leader should spend their time leading these four individuals. List the people in order of percentage of time spent you should spend leading them. (2)
14. (p. 67) All managers are decision makers, but not all decision makers are managers. (1) T/F
15. (p. 70) Optimizing means selecting the first alternative that meets the decision maker's minimum standard of satisfaction. (1) T/F
16. (p. 68) Which of the following statements about programmed decisions is true? (1) A. They have little or no precedent.
B. They are relatively unstructured.
C. They are constituted by routine, repetitive decisions.
D. They are more difficult to make than nonprogrammed decisions. E. They generally require a more creative approach by the decision maker.
17. (p. 73) This approach involves comparing the worst possible outcomes for each alternative and selecting the one that is least undesirable. (1) A. Maximax
18. (p. 75-76) Which of the following statements about group decision making is false? (1) A. Group performance is frequently better than that of the average group member. B. Groups can often be successfully used to develop innovative and creative solutions to problems. C. Groups often take longer to solve problems than does the average person. D. Group decisions are generally better when speed is more important than avoiding mistakes. E. Groups have a much wider range of alternatives in the decision process.
19. (lecture) You are going to take a walk to the park and want to fly your kite if the wind is strong enough. You do not want to drag the kite to the park and find out there is not enough wind to fly...