• California currently spends $184 million on the death penalty each year and is on track to spend $1 billion in the next five years.
• It is clear that had O.J. Simpson been poor, he would now be on death row, innocent or guilty.
• Adds up to millions on something with a slight change of happening (only 13 people killed via death penalty after 1976 in California
• Life without parole can be an alternative, it costs less
• Instead of using the money to kill the criminal, it can be used to aid the victim’s families through counseling, restitution, crime victim hotlines, and other services addressing their needs
Lawyers & Racism
• There have even been instances in which lawyers appointed to a death case were so inexperienced that they were completely unprepared for the sentencing phase of the trial. Other appointed attorneys have slept through parts of the trial, or arrived at the court under the influence of alcohol.
• most important factor in determining whether a defendant will receive the death penalty is the quality of the representation he or she is provided
• overworked, underpaid, inexperienced
• 87% of the cases in which a death sentence is imposed the victim is white. White-victim cases are roughly eleven times more likely than black-victim cases to result in a sentence of death.
• 22% of black defendants who kill white victims are sentenced to death; 8% of white defendants who kill white victims are sentenced to death; 1% of black defendants who kill black victims are sentenced to death; and 3% of white defendants who kill black victims are sentenced to death.
• Since 1976, 289 african Americans have been executed for killing a white person, while only 19 white people have been executed for killing a black person
• Death penalty is applied at random: death penalty is a lethal lottery: of the 22,000 homicides committed every year approximately 150 people are sentenced... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 03). Death Penalty Arguments. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Death-Penalty-Arguments-1490457.html
"Death Penalty Arguments" StudyMode.com. 03 2013. 03 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Death-Penalty-Arguments-1490457.html>.
"Death Penalty Arguments." StudyMode.com. 03, 2013. Accessed 03, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Death-Penalty-Arguments-1490457.html.