Civilization of the Americas
1) Describe the significance of Mayan architecture evidenced in this temple at Tikal? Answer: This pyramid temple is evidence of the architectural skills of the Mayans. The significance of Mayan architecture evidenced in this temple at Tikal is that they were able to build monumental temples of stone, which they dedicated to both the gods and important rulers. The Maya Architecture, as well as their Art, has been called the richest of the New World because of the great complexity of patterns and variety of media expressions. Limestone structures, faced with lime stucco, were the hallmark of ancient Maya architecture. Maya buildings were adorned with carved friezes and roof combs in stone and stucco. Also they were able to build monumental temples of stone, which they dedicated to both the gods and important rulers.
2) What is the significance of this glyph (symbol)?
Answer: The significance of this hieroglyphic symbol, or glyph, is part of the advanced writing system of the ancient Mayans. The Mayans used this writing system to record important historical events in stone.
3) Why was Cortés impressed when he arrived in Tenochtitlán in 1519? Answer: Tenochtitlan was the capital of the Aztec Empire. It was a bustling city, a market center where foods and “all kinds of merchandise” were bought and sold. This impressed Cortes when he arrived in 1519.
4) What engineering technique was described by this sixteenth - century author? Answer: The need to feed the people of the extensive Incan empire led engineers to develop an irrigation system so that corn and other crops could be grown on land that otherwise might not have been productive.
5) Why was this a significant achievement?
Answer: They used it to the physical feature of geography taking advantage of the mountain hilltops and sides. The need to feed the people of the extensive Incan empire...