Motivating a Diverse Workforce
–Flexibility is the key to motivating a diverse workforce
• Diverse array of rewards necessary to satisfy diverse personal needs and goals.
Flexible Working Schedule
• compressed workweek - employees work longer hours per day but fewer days per week.
• Flexible work hours (flextime) - employees required to work a specific number of hours a week but are free to vary those hours within certain limits
– System entails common core hours when all employees are required to be on the job
– Starting, ending, and lunch-hour times are flexible
• Job sharing - two or more people split a full-time job
• Telecommuting - employees work at home and are linked to the workplace by computer and modem.
– Cultural Differences in Motivation
• Motivation theories developed in the U.S. and validated with American workers
• may be some cross-cultural consistencies
– Instead of paying for time on the job, pay is adjusted to reflect some performance measure
– Compatible with expectancy theory
• imparts strong performance-reward linkage
– Programs are gaining in popularity
• Research suggests that programs affect performance.
– involve employees in workplace decisions by opening up the financial statements
– Workers treated as business partners
– get workers to think like an owner
– may also provide bonuses based on profit improvements
Motivating the “New Workforce”
– Motivating Professionals - professionals tend to derive intrinsic satisfaction from their work and receive high pay
• More loyal to their profession than their employer
• value challenging jobs and support for their work
Motivating Contingent Workers - part-time, contract, or temporary workers
• Less security and stability than permanent employees
– receive fewer benefits
• display little identification or commitment to their employers
• Hard to motivate contingent workers
– Opportunity to... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Current Issues in Motivation. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Current-Issues-In-Motivation-1429566.html
"Current Issues in Motivation" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Current-Issues-In-Motivation-1429566.html>.
- MLA 7
"Current Issues in Motivation." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Current-Issues-In-Motivation-1429566.html>.
"Current Issues in Motivation." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Current-Issues-In-Motivation-1429566.html.