A Cultural Analysis of The People's Republic of China

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s): 935
  • Published: May 11, 2002
Read full document
Text Preview
If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person. If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house. If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.

Chinese Proverb

General Overview1

Historical Background2

Religion and Values3

Communication System7

Cultural Foundations8

Business Framework9

Learning Processes11

Food Fashion & Fun12

20 Interesting Facts about China13

Works Cited14

General Overview

China differs from other cultures by its wide range of topics such as government, religion, ethics, etc The People's Republic of China (Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo) is located in the Eastern Asia, bordering the East China Sea, Korea Bay, Yellow Sea, and South China Sea, between North Korea and Vietnam. With a total area of 9,596,960 sq. Km, borders with: Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, Hong Kong, India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Macao, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Vietnam. World's fourth-largest country (after Russia, Canada, and US) with the Mount Everest on the border with Nepal. Three river valleys, the Haung, the Chang, and the Xia split China into three parts. Most of the rest of China is covered with mountains or is very dry and hilly. On the northwest border of China there is a huge, cold desert called the Gobi. A lot of the features of China have kept itself isolated so they have grown all by itself without much outside activity. The clime is extremely diverse, tropical in south to subarctic in north. The country suffers frequent typhoons (about five per year along southern and eastern coasts), damaging floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, and droughts.

The Republic of China is governed by a communist state whose president is Jiang Zemin. The capital Beijing (the north city in Chinese), with Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenyang, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Harbin, Chengdu, form the group of the nine most important cities in the country. China is divided in 23 provinces, 5 autonomous regions, and 4 municipalities. Also considers Taiwan its 23rd province and special administrative the regions of Hong Kong and Macau.

With a population of about 1,273,111,290 (July 2001 est.), and a density of 130 persons per sq. Mile, China becomes the most populated country on earth. The population has a growth rate of 0.88%, and life expectancy of 71.62 years. The 91.9% are Han; the other 8.1% are Zhuang, Uygur, Hui, Yi, Tibetan, Miao, Manchu, Mongol, Buyi, Korean, and other nationalities.

Although it is officially consider atheist, the country follows the Taoism, and Buddhism. Muslim represents around 2% to 3%, Christian 1%, and although it is not considered a religion the Confucianism represents an important side of the Chinese culture.

The official language is the standard Chinese or Mandarin (Putonghua, based on the Beijing dialect), but there are many other variants like the Yue (Cantonese), Wu (Shanghaiese), Minbei (Fuzhou), Minnan (Hokkien-Taiwanese), Xiang, Gan, Hakka dialects, and other minority languages.

Historical Background

For centuries China has stood as a leading civilisation, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences. But in the first half of the 20th century, major famines, civil unrest, military defeats, and foreign occupation beset China. After World War II, the Communists under Mao Zedong established a dictatorship that imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor Deng Xiaoping gradually introduced market-oriented reforms and decentralised economic decision making. Output quadrupled in the next 20 years and China now has the world's second largest Gross Domestic Product. Political controls remain tight even while economic controls continue to weaken.

A significant aspect of China is its long cultural and national history. The Chinese people...
tracking img