Cross Cultural Analysis Thailand

Topics: Geert Hofstede, Thailand, Immigration to the United States Pages: 24 (7097 words) Published: October 26, 2012

The Onion model and the Value Profile of Thailand5
Case 1 “Khatoey”8
Case 2 Muslim Thais13
Case 3 Illegal immigrants17
Case 4 “Hi-So”22

In this report we are going to analyze Thailand, officially, the “Kingdom of Thailand”. It is located in Southeast Asia, bordering to the north Laos and Burma (Myanmar), to the east Cambodia and to the southMalaysia (Encyclopedia.Thailand The Thai king, Rama IX is not only officially titled the “Head of State” , but also “Head of the Armed Forces”, an “Upholder of the Buddhist Religion” and the “Defender of all Faiths” (Wikipedia. Thailand Roughly 75% of the population are ethnically Thai, 14% are Chinese, 3% are ethnically Malay and the rest belongs to minority groups such as the various hill tribes. The country’s official language is Thai and the primary religion is Buddhism, which is practiced by 95% of the population. The other 5% consist of 4.6% Muslims, 0.7% of Christians and the last 0.1% of various different religions. Thai culture has been widely influenced by many other nationalities, such as Indian, Lao, Burmese, Cambodian and Chinese (Wikipedia. Thailand In the following paper we are going to apply the Onion model as learned in Cross Cultural Analysis Classes at School, using Geert Hofstede’s “Cultures and Organizations, Software of the Mind”. Then we apply four different cases in order to draw a picture of Thai culture. Firstly, we are going to look at the phenomenon of transgendered males (often referred to as “lady boys”) which are a distinctive feature of Thai society. Another case study will be the minority of Muslims in Thailand. As mentioned above, only a very small amount of the population follow the Islam. However, a lot of conflicts derive from this minority. Thailand is on the merge of a developing country.

Thailand, with a per capita gross domestic product (GDP) of $8.300 is quite a wealthy country compared to its bordering countries like Laos, Burma or Cambodia (Encyclopedia. Thailand Therefore it is not surprising that many illegal immigrants make their way to Thailand in order to pursue the dream of a better life. This will make our third case study. Finally we are going to examine the term of “Hi So”. The term “hi-so” is used frequently in discussions about Bangkok life, but it’s a term that has taken on new meaning and moved beyond the boundaries of what it was originally supposed to refer to. What is “hi-so”? The Thai media would have us believe that hi-so is a person who attends lavish parties, who appears in glossy magazines, and who is seen to have a lot of money. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Why that is so, will be discussed in our last case study. We are going to analyze the cases according to the Thai Value Profile, using the PyramidFigure 1 of Uniqueness (compare Figure 1).

First we will look at the human nature, then at the culture and finally at the specific case (in Figure 1 shown as “Personality” but in our paper adjusted to “specific case”).

The Onion model and the Value Profile of Thailand
This chapter introduces the cultural profile of Thailand, using the Onion model. Statistically, Thailand has a high average power index (64). Furthermore it is Collectivist (20), Feminine (34) with an averaged Uncertainty Avoidance (64) and an average short term orientation (32).

Thailand’s Index Scores: PDI (Power Distance Index)= 64, IDV (Individualism Index)= 20, MAS (Masculinity Index)= 34, UAI (Uncertainty Avoidance Index)= 64, LTO (Long Term Orientation Index)=32

1.1 The difference between masculinity and femininity.
A society is feminine when there are no big differences between the two genders. If a society is feminine then both...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Cultural Analysis Thailand Essay
  • Essay on Introduction to Cross-Cultural Psychology
  • Cross cultural management Essay
  • Introduction to Cross Cultural Psych Essay
  • Cross-Cultural Film Analysis
  • Cross cultural analysis of Japan and Australia Essay
  • Essay about Cross Cultural Management
  • Cross

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free