Directions: The critical lens is a formulaic essay that consists of 4-6 paragraphs and explores two works of literature and two literary elements from each work of literature. Use the format below to help you write your essay using Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey and Richard Connell’s short story “The Most Dangerous Game”.
• Copy the quotation exactly as it appears and include the author (1 sentence) “Henry Ward Beecher once said, “Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right using of strength.”
• Own words. Put the quotation in your own words. (2-3 sentences) “This quotation means that…”
• Agree or disagree with the quotation as you have interpreted it. (2-3 sentences) “This statement is true because…” (Make sure you relate it to the “big picture.”)
• Tie it to two literary works. (1 sentence) “Two works of literature that prove this quotation is true (or untrue) are Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey and the short story “The Most Dangerous Game” written by Richard Connell.”
• Thesis. (1-2 sentences) (Your thesis tells your reader the point you will argue throughout your paper. Therefore, you must show your reader how these two works of literature relate to the quotation in a sentence or two. ) “Throughout Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey, Odysseus must use the strengths of his character, specifically, his guile and intelligence, to persevere in the face of adversity. Similarly, in the short story “The Most Dangerous Game”, …”
Body Paragraph #1 (literary element #1 from the 1st work of literature):
• Transition statement: “Throughout _____________ (the first work of literature), _______________ (the author) uses many literary elements to help connect the ______________ (genre) to the critical lens. Two examples are ______ and ________.” (list two literary elements such as theme, conflict, and characterization) (2 sentences)
• Name the first literary...