The pituitary is a small bean-shaped, reddish-gray organ located in the saddle-shaped depression (sella turcica) in the floor of the skull (the sphenoid bone) and attached to the base of the brain by a stalk . The gland is comprised of two segments, the anterior (front) and posterior (back) lobes. The posterior lobe makes up 25% while the anterior lobe accounts for the remaining 75% of the gland. Even though both lobes together are only about the size of a small acorn, they represent a major player in the endocrine system. Because it releases the major hormones involved in growth, we will be concerned only with the anterior section of the gland. The major function of the anterior pituitary is tropic. This suffix is used to point out hormones that affect other glands and organs. The anterior pituitary produces six vital tropic hormones:
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)
Luteinizing hormone (LH)
Lactotropic Hormone (LTH)
Growth Hormone (GH)
The most important of these hormones in terms of growth, is Growth Hormone (GH). Before delving into the world of GH, some background is needed on the role of a...