COURSEWORK 1: DATA ANALYSIS USING IBM SPSS

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 107
  • Published : March 14, 2014
Open Document
Text Preview


Coursework 1: Data Analysis Using IBM SPSS

By

jtrene7@gmail.com

Course
Instructor
Institution
City, State
Date

Question 1
Part A: Descriptive Analyses on the Variables
In this section, descriptive analysis of the variables is made in accordance with the level of measurement of the variables. In this context, the variables have been evaluated at the four distinct levels, which include nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio (Frankfort-Nachmias & Nachmias 2008). Global Warming, Sex and MOSAIC Global Segment

These three variables have been measured at the nominal level. Thus, frequencies and mode are the main descriptive analyses for this variable (Zikmund et al., 2009). The variable for global warming denotes respondents’ responses on whether or not they believe that the government should address global warming. The variable is measured at two levels (0 = No, 1 = Yes). The variable for sex represents the gender of the respondents and has two levels of measurement (1 = male, 2 = female). The variable for MOSAIC global segment has ten levels (1 = A, …, 10 = J). The results indicate that approximately 51% (n = 640) of the respondents believe that the government should address global warming. On the other hand, about 49% (n = 619) of the respondents believe that the government should not address global warming. Figure 1 presents the proportions of responses on the respondents’ beliefs on whether or not the government should address global warming.

Figure 1. Respondents’ responses on whether the government should address global warming More than a half of the respondents, 56% (n = 705), were females while the rest, 44% (n = 554) were males. The results are as visualized in figure 2.

Figure 2. Proportion of respondents by gender (N = 1259)
More than a quarter of the respondents, 28.4% (n = 357) fall in the MOSAIC global segment G. Almost a quarter of the respondents, 23.8% (n = 300), fall in segment E, while 19.9% (n = 251) of the respondents fall in MOSAIC global segment C. The least proportion of respondents, 2% (n = 25), is in MOSAIC global segment A. The results are as presented in table 1. Table 1. Summary of results for proportions of respondents for MOSAIC global segments MOSAIC Global Segment

Frequency
Percent
A
25
2.0
B
45
3.6
C
251
19.9
E
300
23.8
G
357
28.4
H
121
9.6
I
104
8.3
J
56
4.4
Total
1259
100.0
Age and Education
Both variables are scale variables; thus, all the common arithmetic operations and descriptive statistics such as frequencies, mean, mode, median, and standard deviation can be computed. The variable for age represents the respondents’ age in years. The variable is evaluated at the interval level. On the other hand, the variable for education denotes the years of education completed by the respondents. The same has been evaluated at the ratio level. The summary descriptive statistics for the age and years of education of respondents are as presented in table 2. Table 2. Summary of descriptive statistics for age of the respondents (N = 1259)

Mean
Median
Std. Dev.
Min
Max
95% CI
Age
47.60
45
16.33
22
89
(46.70, 48.51)
Years of education
13.95
14.00
2.81
3
20
(13.79, 14.10)
As shown in table 2, the is a wide range in the ages of the respondents, with the minimum age being 22 years and the maximum age being 89 years. On average, the age of the respondents is 47.60 years (SD = 16.33 years). Further, one can be 95% confident that the average age of the respondents is between 46.70 and 48.51 years. Similarly, there is a wide range in the years of education completed by the respondents, with the minimum being 3 years and the maximum being 20 years. The average number of years of education completed by the respondents is 13.95 years (SD = 2.81 years). One can be 95% confident that the average number of years of education is between 13.79 and 14.10 years. The distributions for...
tracking img