Copyreading is much like the work of a communication arts teacher correcting compositions, except that he uses different symbols. A copy may be a news item, an editorial, a feature story or any literary article. Duties of a copyreader:
1. Straighten out ungrammatical construction.
2. Shorten sentences and tighten paragraphs.
3. See that the paper’s style requirements are strictly followed. Check names, addresses, title, designations, identifications, figures, etc. 4. Rewrite the story completely if it is poorly written.
5. Rewrite the lead or the first few paragraphs whenever necessary, but must never tamper with the facts unless he is sure of his corrections. 6. Delete all opinion, speculations and statements on news which are without attribution or sources. 7. Watch out for slanting or any attempt to present the story in a subtly biased way. 8. Watch for libelous statements.
9. Recheck figures and totals.
10. Cross-out adjectives in news which tend to make a story sound over-written. 11. Cut a story to size or to the required length if necessary. 12. Check attributions and see to it that they are properly identified. 13. Challenge facts, claims, or reports when they sound anomalous, illogical and incredible. 14. Check sluglines and paging sequences
15. Write headlines
What to copyread?
1. Errors in fact
2. Errors in grammar
3. Errors in structure
4. Errors in style
5. Libelous and derogatory statements
6. Seditious and rebellious matter
7. Expressions contrary to law and good taste
8. Opinion and editorializing statements
9. Verbal deadwood, redundancy
10. Technical terms, slang, jargons
Symbols Meaning Outcome
The Bionic Woman Emphasize quotes “The Bionic Woman”
Dr Arthur Cruz Jr Emphasize periods Dr. Arthur Cruz Jr.
said “I must go.” Emphasize comma said, “I must go.” Numbers and Abbreviations
in Nov. Spell out in November
Doctor Arthur Cruz Abbreviate Dr. Arthur Cruz
twenty boys Use numeral 20 boys
2 girls were… Spell out Two girls were…
Special form of type
Manila, philippines Capitalize MANILA, Philippines
Letter and word changes
meet on Saturday Bridge over meet Saturday
those b oys Close up space those boys
Fe Cruz Principal Transpose Principal Fe Cruz
recieve Transpose receive
pamplet Insert letter pamphlet
went market Insert word went to market
Manila pAper Lower case Manila paper
received free gifts Delete word received gifts
judgement Delete letter within judgment
develope iskill Delete before/after develop skill
the most talented and Kill the principal
Allright wehave time Insert space All right we have time
We were indeed very Run in copy We were indeed very
happy because happy because…
Paco, Manila… Indent for paragraph Paco, Manila…
Today he will… Today he will…
Welfrido Cruz Spell as written Welfrido Kruz
One boy came Restore text; disregard On boy came
Elected prexy Center subhead Elected prexy
the un - Syllabicate the un-
finished task finished task
The gong Set in boldface the gong
She read Les Miserables Set in italics She read Les Miserables 30 or # Story is finished
more or ) Story is unfinished
Seminar Text continued on the
(…2) Next page
# - folio copy See copy as written
Note: To arrange paragraphs just place the number (e.g. #1, #3) of the corresponding paragraphs in the left portion of the copy.
SAMPLE COPY TEST
Slug line: ________________________
Headline: _____________________________ No. of units: ____________ The PNU elementary school launch the anual cleanliness & beatification contest September 16 at the school social hole. In a mating with Presidents and vice-presidents of each class from Grade III to Gr. Six, Mrs. Alegria Flora Principal explain the prosedures to folow. According to the principal, its class class will be given an areas to cleaned. Ones a week, school officials will vissit the area...