20 March 2013
Continental Airlines Takes Off with Real-time Business Intelligence * Describe “active” data warehousing as it is applied at Continental Airlines. Does Continental apply active or real-time warehousing differently than this concept is normally described? Continental was in the beginning a disaster in doing business before Real-time IB; late flights, bad baggage handling and its lost, complaining customers because of delays, overbooking, lost of booking data etc and even unhappy employees who didn’t felt safe to work for the company, Continental was even near to be a bankrupt several times. The goal with the real-time warehousing was therefore to solve all those problems and get happy and loyal customers and employees. Some of the goals are listed below:
* Give employees fast information about the business and customers * Flight on time - Take all of the baggage to final destination * Easy booking, no overbooking- Increase services
What have been shown is that the real-time BI hasn’t just improved and completed all of the goals, Continental has even started to use the system in much broader perspective.
* Make a list of most valuable customers, get knowledge about their trips, what they prefer, if they got good service and if something happening with them in the real-time and in that case give them right and direct service without them to need to ask for it. “Customer facing”, near and personal contact with customers (example: personal letter and so on)
* Improve of security because of comparing data in real-time with help of the system, helped FBI with searching after possible terrorists. It also helps to track people who try to track the system.
* Be almost always on time because of special booking processes, use all capacity of the plains, be always updating about price changes and act from there.
* Because of making the system easy and useful for users...