a) PROJECT TITLE: Consumer preferences towards choosing an Air conditioner with special reference to ONIDA AC: A study in Guwahati city
i) To identify the factors affecting the consumer’s preferences towards choosing an Air Conditioner. ii) To assign relative importance of these factors based on consumer preferences iii) To study consumer’s perception towards ONIDA Air conditioner
This research is to identify the factors affecting sales of ONIDA Air Conditioners in Guwahati city, and rank the factors according to their importance or preferences among the consumers. Hence, the study will help MIRC Electronics to form effective strategies for increasing their market-share.
Although I tried my best to prepare this project, but this study has some limitations. 1) Many consumers showed less interest in providing information and haven’t cooperated. 2) Survey from an equal number of male and female consumers could have provided an accurate picture of the consumer’s preferences towards choosing an Air conditioner. But, since my target group was individual with annual household income of 5 lakhs and above, so I visited mainly the govt. and private offices and therefore majority of my respondents are male. c) METHODOLOGY
1) The methodology used in this study is the “survey” of individuals whose household income is 5 lakhs and above at different parts of Guwahati city. 2) Interaction with employees with the help of structured questionnaire at govt. and private offices and also with customers at different electronic outlets in Guwahati. Sources of Data
1) Primary data
For my study, the primary sources of data are:
* Personal visits
2) Secondary Data
* Interaction with organizational guide
Population: All earning individuals in Guwahati city.
Elements: All earning individuals in Guwahati city with annual household income above Rs. 5 lakhs
Sampling unit: Each earning individual in Guwahati city with annual household income above Rs. 5 lakhs
Time: June 2012 – July 2012
Extent: Guwahati city
Sample size: 150
Sampling Procedure: Convenience and Judgement Sampling
d) MAJOR FINDINGS
* 106 respondents (70.7%) consider ‘self’ as the most influential in buying a consumer durable product followed by ‘spouse’ (51.3%) and ‘kids’ (19.3%)
* 131 respondents (87.3%) consider ‘After sales service’ as the most preferred criteria for choosing an Air conditioner followed by ‘Brand Image’ (73.3%) , ‘Energy Consumption’ (66.7%) and ‘Advertisements’ (26.7%). * 97 respondents (64.7%) have no idea of the ‘After sales service’ of ONIDA AC while 23 respondents (15.3%) consider it to be very poor and 16 respondents (10.7%) consider it to be poor. * 91 respondents (60.7%) have no idea of the ‘Brand Image’ of ONIDA AC while 20 respondents (13.3%) consider it to be satisfactory and 17 respondents (11.3%) consider it to be good.
* 117 respondents (78%) have no idea of the ‘Energy Consumption (Star Rating)’ of ONIDA AC while 10 respondents (6.7%) consider it to be good and 7 respondents (4.7%) consider it to be excellent.
* 91 respondents (60.7%) have no idea of the ‘Advertisements’ of ONIDA AC while 31 respondents (20.7%) consider it to be satisfactory, 9 respondents (6%) consider it to be very poor and 7 respondents (4.7%) consider it to be poor.
* Since 87.3% of the respondents consider ‘After sales service’ as the most preferred criteria in choosing an Air conditioner and 64.7% of the respondents have no idea of the ‘After sales service’ of ONIDA AC while 15.3% consider it to be very poor and 10.7% consider it to be poor, therefore...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document