July 2, 2012
Conflict is an expected part of one’s daily life. Conflicts happen in one’s personal life, public encounters and even within one’s work team. The solution to conflict is often through analyzing and resolving it productively. Through this process an individual has the opportunity to explore differences and consider alternatives for the best outcomes. Recently Riordan Manufacturing has come across some concerns and issues with two employees; James and David. Motivating employees and retention has become a concern in the business. Riordans methods for human resources are prohibiting the empowerment of workers, suspending possible progress due to unbalanced revenues, and a reduction in transactions. In order to resolve the situation a need to identify the available conflict management strategies and their strengths and weaknesses would be ideal. Possible conflict management strategies include: 1. Collaboration Strategy
* Results in invention as well as co-creation.
* Long-term associations and creates win/win scenario.
* Very time consuming
* Hard situation to develop
1. Team building Strategy
* Creates long lasting associates and is a win/win scenario * Sets an extremely optimistic mindset through building company traditions Weaknesses
* Difficult to create due to difference of opinions
* Differences in objectives and personal beliefs
The collaborative strategy method would be the best technique for both James and David seeing as it would eliminate the misinterpretations generated between James and David by cooperating openly and eradicating the misinterpretations created among each person. This method may be negotiated by their manager, who could get James and David to communicate with one another and afterwards set a schedule for a future plan of action to keep communication lines open. As far as a...