Managing Information Systems – Ch. 1
Information Systems in Global Business Today
• Understanding the effects of information systems (IS) on business and their relationship to globalization • Explain why information systems are essential in business • Define an information system and describe its y management, organization, and technology components • Define complementary assets and their role in ensuring that information systems add organizational value • Describe the different disciplines used to study information systems, and explain how each contributes to our understanding of them • Explain what is meant by a sociotechnical systems perspective
NBA Teams: A Slam Dunk With IT
• Problem: Lack of hard data usable in decision-making processes, costly and competitive market • Solutions: Developed a new system designed to collect and organize data using video clips of games • Synergy Sports Technology tags video of each game with hundreds of descriptive categories and allows coaches and players to stream game footage from the Web • Demonstrates IT’s role in innovation and improving business processes • Also Illustrates how the Web has allowed businesses to use new tools to analyze critical data
Information Systems in Business Today
• Information systems are transforming business
• Increase in wireless technology use, Web sites • Shifts in media and advertising • New federal security and accounting laws
• Globalization opportunities
• Internet has drastically reduced costs of operating on global scale • Presents both challenges and opportunities
IT Capital Investment
Information technology investment, defined as hardware, software, and communications equipment, grew from 32% to 51% between 1980 and 2008.
Source: Based on data in U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis, National Income and Product Accounts, 2008.
• In the emerging, fully... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 09). Complimentary Asset Examples. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Complimentary-Asset-Examples-404243.html
"Complimentary Asset Examples" StudyMode.com. 09 2010. 2010. 09 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Complimentary-Asset-Examples-404243.html>.
- MLA 7
"Complimentary Asset Examples." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2010. Web. 09 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Complimentary-Asset-Examples-404243.html>.
"Complimentary Asset Examples." StudyMode.com. 09, 2010. Accessed 09, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Complimentary-Asset-Examples-404243.html.