Communication in the Uae

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 129
  • Published : July 3, 2011
Open Document
Text Preview
Communication in the UAE:
At the moment there are two major telecommunication companies operating inside the UAE, Etisalat and DU, With Etisalat holding the majority of the market segment DU is slowly catching up in terms of Technology and service providing, DU managed to do what Etisalat did in 35 years in such a short period it got all its servers running and started providing services to the customers they also managed to provide signal poles in an efficient time period it did take time till the population got used to the idea of a new telecommunication company in the country but eventually they accepted it due to the offers provided by DU not like Etisalat charging per minute Du actually charges per second that is very efficient for short call or conversations. Back in the days when Etisalat was around the telecommunication market was monopoly they used to charge any price and customers had to pay due to the lack of a substitute but this all changed when Du entered the market the market changed from a monopoly to oligopoly but this did not effect the prices of Etisalat for as Du has put its prices at a similar level preventing a price war between the two companies. History of communication in the UAE:

Emirates Telecommunication Corporation - Etisalat was established in the late 70's and more precise in 1976 as a joint-stock company between International Aeradio Limited, a British based Company, and local partners. In 1983 the ownership structure changed and the majority of the company belonged to the United Arab Emirates government giving them a 60% share in the company and the remaining 40% were publicly traded. In the beginning of the 90's( 1991) the UAE central government issued Federal Law No. 1, which gave the corporation the right to provide the telecommunications wired and wireless services in the country and between UAE and other countries. It also gave the firm the right to issue licenses for owning, importing, manufacturing, using or...
tracking img