Thinking Maps Strategy #5
1. Positive greater than zero. Explicitly stated, stipulated, or expressed 2. Negative expressing or containing negation or denial. Less than zero. 3. Permeable capable of being permeated. Capable of being passed through or permeated, especially by liquids or gases.
4. Cell membrane the semi permeable membrane surrounding the cytoplasm of a cell. 5. Solute concentration a component of a solution: in a solution, the dissolving substance is called a solvent whereas the dissolved substance
6. Osmosis the tendency of a fluid, usually water, to pass through a semipermeable membrane into a solution where the solvent concentration is higher,
7. Active transport the movement of ions or molecules across a cell membrane into a region of higher concentration, assisted by enzymes and requiring energy
8. Diffusion act of diffusing; state of being diffused. The reflection or refraction of radiation such as light or sound by an irregular surface, tending to scatter it in many directions. 9. Cell energy Cellular respiration, also known as 'oxidative metabolism', is one of the key ways a cell gains useful energy
10. Diffusion act of diffusing; state of being diffused
11. Chemical processes any process determined by the atomic and molecular composition and structure of the substances involved.
12. Regulatory mechanisms are those that are systems of contol in keeping the internal environment relatively stable and maintained within narrow limits, despite external environment change.
13. Bonding patterns something that binds, fastens, confines, or holds together
14. Biochemical reactions the process in which two or more molecules (reactants) interact
15. Replication the reply of the plaintiff or complainant to the defendant's plea or answer
16. Synthesis a complex whole formed by combining
17. Transcription the act or process of transcribing.
18. Retrieves to bring back to a former and better state; restore
19. Complementary forming a complement
20. diploid state cell is a cell that contains two sets of chromosomes
21. Diversity The state of being diverse; variety
22. homozygous having identical alleles at corresponding chromosomal loci
23. Recessive Relating to or denoting heritable characteristics controlled by genes that are expressed in offspring only when inherited from both
24. convergent Coming closer together, esp. in characteristics or ideas
25. divergent Tending to be different or develop in different directions
26. Projectile A missile designed to be fired from a rocket or gun
27. resource depletion Resource depletion is an economic term referring to the exhaustion of raw materials within a region
28. Predators An animal that naturally preys on others
29. organic Of, relating to, or derived from living matter
30. elliptical egg-shaped: rounded like an egg
31. configuration An arrangement of elements in a particular form, figure, or combination
32. properties A thing or things belonging to someone; possessions collectively
33. continuity The unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over a period of time.
34. anthropological of or concerned with the science of anthropology
35. sociological of or relating to or determined by sociology
36. archaeological related to or dealing with or devoted to archaeology
37. absolutism The acceptance of or belief in absolute principles in political, philosophical, ethical, or theological matters.
38. determinism The doctrine that all events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes external to the will.
39. naturalism A philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes,
40. global community is a the fictional world government/state described in the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye
Please join StudyMode to read the full document