Name: Yixian Tan
Prologue: A Tale of Two Farms
Read pages 1-19 and answer questions 1-4.
[pdf version: pages 10-28]
1. (5 points) Jared Diamond begins his book by comparing Huls Farm and Gardar Farm, and their similar strengths and vulnerabilities. a.) What is the major difference between the 2 farms (and their societies) in terms of their current status? The major difference is the stats of the two farms, the Huls Farm is in a period of great prosperity, like the United States society. Garder Farm had been abandoned for 500 years ago, the land is lie wasted like the Norway people used to live there. b.) Why do you think Diamond opens his book with this example? Diamond opens with this because he want to present the idea that the social, economic and environment is always exist in even the strongest power, they may cause collapse suddenly if they are not treated well. c.) What are potential implications for our society?
If the government or people do not treat those problems seriously, they may cause the collapse of our society.
2. (5 points) Ecocide.
a.) Ecocide means unintended ecological suicide. What happens to the resources upon which the society depended? People inadvertently destroying the environmental resources. b.) LIST the eight categories of environmental problems that have lead to ecocide in past societies, as well as the four new ones in today’s societies. 1. Deforestation and habitat destruction
2. Soil problem
3. Water management problem
6. Effects of introduced species on native species
7. Human population growth
8. Increased per-capita impact of people
9. Human cause climate change
10. Buildup of toxic chemicals in the environment
11. Energy shortages
12. Full human utilization of the Earth’s photosynthetic capacity
c.) How do you think societies can avoid ecocide?
The government must put the environment problem in the first place and sign policy to prove it....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document