Colgate-Palmolive Company (NYSE: CL) is an American diversified multinational corporation focused on the production, distribution and provision of household, health care and personal products, such as soaps, detergents, and oral hygiene products .
In 1806, William Colgate, himself a soap and candle maker, opened up a starch, soap, and candle factory on Dutch Street in New York City under the name of "William Colgate & Company". In the 1840s, the firm began selling individual bars in uniform weights. In 1857, William Colgate died and the company was reorganized as "Colgate & Company" under the management of Samuel Colgate, his son. In 1872, Colgate introduced Cashmere Bouquet, a perfumed soap. In 1873, the firm introduced its first toothpaste, an aromatic toothpaste sold in jars. His company sold the first toothpaste in a tube, Colgate Ribbon Dental Cream, in 1896. By 1908 they initiated mass selling of toothpaste in tubes. Colgate-Palmolive has long been in fierce competition with Procter & Gamble, the world's largest soap and detergent maker. P&G introduced its Tide laundry detergent shortly after World War II, and thousands of consumers turned from Colgate's soaps to the new product. Colgate lost its number one place in the toothpaste market when P&G started putting fluoride in its toothpaste. In the beginning of television, "Colgate-Palmolive" wished to compete with Procter & Gamble as a sponsor of soap operas. Although the company sponsored many shows in part, they were most famous for being the full sponsor of the serial The Doctors. Year Wise Details
* 1873 – Aromatic toothpaste was first introduced.
* 1896 – First dental cream was introduced in collapsible tube. * 1928 – Colgate merged with Palmolive Peet Company.
* 1937 – Colgate Palmolive India limited was come in existence. * 1949 – Colgate toothpaste launched in Indian market by CPIL.
* Fabian Garcio is the Chairmen and Roger D. Calmayer is the M.D Company. * It acquired 75% equity in advance oral care product
* Registered office is located at Mumbai.
* Its total turn over is Rs. 1363 cr.
* Its main business is manufacturing and marketing of oral care products toilet soaps, shaving products etc. * Its has captured highest share in the toothpaste brand in India. * Its manufacturing plant is situated at Baddi plant of Himachal Pradesh
* Launched in 1949 , Colgate is largest tooth paste in India . * Colgate has been ranked as India most trusted brand across all Categories for four consecutive years from 2003 to 2007 by brand equities most trusted brand survey. Colgate was also rated as the no. 1 brand. * Colgate toothpaste has variety of products which includes : * Colgate dental cream
* Colgate active salt
* Colgate max fresh
* Colgate total 12
* Colgate extra clean gum care
* Colgate sensitive toothbrush
* Colgate 360 toothbrush
Total market share of Colgate in different years
The leader in the oral-care category is positioned to capitalize on underpenetrated market segments through strong brands. A 51% subsidiary of Colgate US, Colgate Palmolive (India) (CPIL) is a market leader in the Indian oralcare industry since decades. The company has products across variants and price points in toothpaste, toothpowder, and toothbrushes, and has leadership in each of these. CPIL’s two brands of toothpastes — Colgate and Cibaca — are targeted at the urban and rural markets, respectively.
CPIL’s toothpaste sales volume increased 11% and toothbrush 41% in the September 2008 quarter, expanding its overall market share to 37.7% in the January-August 2008 period. The company boosted the toothpowder market share to 48.6% in the January-August 2008 period. These increases were driven by tight focus on getting closer to consumers everywhere, strengthening partnerships with the dental profession and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document