Coagulation and Hemophilia Treatment Centers

Topics: Coagulation, Blood, Haemophilia A Pages: 4 (1189 words) Published: May 7, 2011
Some people would ask , “What is hemophilia?”. Well first lets break down the word to get the exact term. Hemo-, in Latin terms means blood and –philia, tendency towards, so the literal translation is a tendency towards blood. But what hemophilia is exactly is a rare, hereditary blood disorder marked by a tendency toward excessive bleeding. The cause of this coagulation disorder is a result of a flaw in the x chromosome, that may also be a product of a unprompted gene mutation . In each type of hemophilia, (type A,B,C) a vital coagulation protein is absent causing the afflicted individual with the disease to bleed for extended periods of time before clotting occurs. And depending on the severity of the hemophilia disorder within the individual, sporadic uncontrolled bleeding may occur without any provocation or after any invasive procedures or injury. Demographics show that hemophilia type A affects between 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000 males on most populations. Hemophilia B occurs 1 in 40 to 50,000 and in the U.S. it is estimated to be 13.4 cases for every 100,000 males (10.5 type A 2.9 type B). When it comes to race and ethnicity, the frequency is 13.2 cases in 100,000 amongst Caucasian males, 11.0 among African Americans, and 11.5 among Hispanic males. Hemophilia C occurs primarily among individuals of Jewish descent. About 70% of all people with hemophilia type A or B inherited disease, the other 30% have developed through spontaneous genetic mutation. Both factors VIII and IX are produced by a genetic defect of the X chromosome, so hemophilia A and B are both sex-linked diseases passed on from a female to male offspring. All humans have two chromosomes determining their gender: females have XX, males have XY. Because the trait is carried only on the X chromosome, it is called sex-linked. Because a female child always receives two X chromosomes, she will receive at least one normal X chromosome. So even if she receives one blemished X...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Coagulation and Hemophilia Greater Independence Essay
  • Coagulation and Long History Hemophilia Essay
  • Hemophilia Essay
  • hemophilia Essay
  • Essay on Hemophilia
  • Essay on coagulation
  • Cancer Treatment Centers of America Research Paper
  • Coagulation Disorders Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free