1. Berries – usually succulent fruit and very juicy. The availability of berries is between May and August. But grapes are berries that can be found year round. Some foods classified as berries do not fit the botanical definitions like strawberries and raspberries but are berries. There are fruits that are true berries but are not classified into other categories e.g. bananas and grapes. Berries grow in bunches in bushes and on vines. They are small and juicy. Examples of berries are grapes, strawberries, black berries, raspberries, gooseberries, blue berries.
2. Citrus – these are fleshy fruits and are in segments with seeds and contain citrus acid. Examples are grapefruit, clementine (orange and tangerine mix), kumquats, tangerine, orange, mangerine, ugli (orange and grapefruit cross), lemon lime, (civil), bitter orange. Characterized by a thick rine, most of which is a bitter white pit (Alfredo). The exterior layer of the skin is known as zest. The flesh of citrus is segmented and juicy. These fruits are acidic with a strong aroma. Their flavours vary from bitter to tart to sweet. It is grown in all climates but it is best grown in tropical and sub-tropical climates.
3. Drupes – they have a hard stone like seed. They have fleshy yellow skin. Examples are apricots, peaches, avocado, nectarine, West Indian cherries and plumes. They are very rich in flavor. Mango is in this group.
4. Melons – they are very fleshy, succulent and juicy. They give off a distinct odor when they are ripe. E.g. watermelon which are of three types (Christmas melon (inside yellow not pink), red seeders, gold), black seed, musk melon, cantaloupe, honey dew (golden and green) and casaba.
5. Pomes: these are fruits with thin skin with firm flesh surrounding a central core with small seeds called pips or carpels. They are not recommended for salads due to rapid enzymatic browning. Examples are apples, pear
6. Tropical fruits – pineapple,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 12). Classification of Fruits. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classification-Of-Fruits-867747.html
"Classification of Fruits" StudyMode.com. 12 2011. 2011. 12 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classification-Of-Fruits-867747.html>.
- MLA 7
"Classification of Fruits." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2011. Web. 12 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classification-Of-Fruits-867747.html>.
"Classification of Fruits." StudyMode.com. 12, 2011. Accessed 12, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classification-Of-Fruits-867747.html.