* Scientific management
* Administrative principles
* Bureaucratic organization
* Scientific management (Frederick Taylor)
* Develop rules of motion, standardized work implements, and proper working conditions for every job.
* Carefully select workers with the right abilities for the job.
* Carefully train workers and provide proper incentives.
* Support workers by carefully planning their work and removing obstacles.
* Scientific management (the Gilbreths)
* Motion study
* Science of reducing a job or task to its basic physical motions.
* Eliminating wasted motions improves performance.
* Administrative principles (Henri Fayol) — rules of management:
* Foresight — to complete a plan of action for the future.
* Organization — to provide and mobilize resources to implement the plan.
* Command — to lead, select, and evaluate workers to get the best work toward the plan.
* Coordination — to fit diverse efforts together and ensure information is shared and problems solved.
* Control — to make sure things happen according to plan and to take necessary corrective action.
* Administrative principles (Henri Fayol) — key principles of management:
* Scalar chain — there should be a clear and unbroken line of communication from the top to the bottom of the organization.
* Unity of command — each person should receive orders from only one boss.
* Unity of direction — one person should be in charge of all activities with the same performance objective.
* Administrative principles (Mary Parker Follett)
* Groups and human cooperation:
* Groups are mechanisms through which individuals can combine their talents for a greater good.
* Organizations are cooperating “communities” of managers and workers.
* Manager’s job is to help people in the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). Classical Approaches to Management. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classical-Approaches-To-Management-969599.html
"Classical Approaches to Management" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classical-Approaches-To-Management-969599.html>.
"Classical Approaches to Management." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Classical-Approaches-To-Management-969599.html.