SYLLABUS FALL 2008
Dr. Joseph D. Henry, Director [#6397] and Mrs. Pamela Bates, Accompanist [#6398]
I. ENSEMBLE RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Attend rehearsals
2. Be on time and concentrate for the entire 50 minute duration
3. Have your music and a pencil for score-marking at every rehearsal
4. Learn you music (may require outside rehearsal practice!)
5. Help and encourage other singers to excel
6. Take care of your choir robe and dress appropriately for all performances
7. Take care of your music & choral folder and return it in good condition at the end of the semester
8. A few things to remember during rehearsals: (1) take your hat off, (2) no gum chewing, (3) no use of cell phones – turn it off before coming upstairs.
II. COURSE OBJECTIVES
1. Sing a wide variety of music representing the choral literature.
2. Demonstrate self-expression through various performances each semester.
3. Demonstrate proper singing technique through performance.
4. Demonstrate a positive attitude and the ability to work with, cooperate, and communicate with others.
III. MAJOR TOPICS
1. Exposure to a variety of choral literature.
3. Breathing fundamentals.
4. Vocal production.
5. Pitch, rhythm, dynamics, articulation.
6. Exposure to foreign languages.
7. Performance opportunities.
9. Correct and beautiful diction.
10. Musical/Historical interpretation
IV. METHOD OF EVALUATION
1. Point System: 90-100 = A; 80-89 = B; 70-79 = C; 60-69 = D; 0-59 = F
2. Evaluators and percentage distribution:
a. Appointed Section Leaders: 20% of semester grade
b. Peer evaluation (members in your own section): 10% of semester grade
c. Music Director evaluation: 70% of semester grade
3. Grading Criteria (A, B, C, D, or F):
a. 30%: Consistent, constructive effort
b. 50%: Attends rehearsals and performances (see comments below)
c. 10%: Appropriate concert dress... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 11). Chorale Syllabus. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chorale-Syllabus-182129.html
"Chorale Syllabus" StudyMode.com. 11 2008. 11 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chorale-Syllabus-182129.html>.
"Chorale Syllabus." StudyMode.com. 11, 2008. Accessed 11, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chorale-Syllabus-182129.html.