Martins Children’s Hospital
Inpatient Coding Specialist-MCH HIMS position
Job Title Inpatient Coding Specialist - MCH HIMS Job # 12398 Department Name HIMS Coding
Job Type Full Time Schedule Monday - Friday
The Coding Specialist is responsible for coding and abstracting inpatient records utilizing ICD-9 diagnosis and procedure codes, in accordance with coding conventions and guidelines. This requires thorough review of the medical record to validate assigned codes, assure optimum reimbursement and accurate abstraction of required data. Must be able to recognize when further documentation is necessary for accurate code assignment and appropriately query the physician (or others) for clarification, onsite or Remote work available within the state of Texas only.
1. Demonstrates a high degree of independence in performance of responsibilities, working effectively without direct supervision.
2. Demonstrates competency in coding and abstracting all patient types in accordance with ICD-9 and CPT coding conventions and national coding guidelines, meeting the expected monthly quality and productivity standards according to departmental policy.
3. Maintains an understanding of regulations, standards and practices as they relate to Health Information Management.
4. Participates in continuing education opportunities and shows initiative in researching difficult or interesting subjects.
5. Understands importance of data reporting and interacts appropriately with physicians and other departments to obtain the documentation necessary for accurate code assignment. 6. Updates...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document