EDUCATING THE EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN OR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
This first chapter introduces you to an area of education that has greatly affected the lives of countless children in positive way. Together we will take a look at the radical change of thought that has taken place, not only in this country, but also in other parts of the world. This, in turn, has influenced our understanding of how we identify children who require special needs. Here you will see the unfolding scenario that greatly affects all of us as we are being introduced to various groups who are directly or indirectly associated with these children. They include parents, educators, legislators, and even our leaders. But in the very central spotlight are the children who are exceptional or who need special services. As you become acquainted with new terminology, keep your focus on the major trends outlined, especially as these are interwoven into later chapters, as they highlight issues related to groups of children with specific needs or exceptionalities.
1. How have perspectives on treating individuals with special needs changed over time? 2. What are the major forces that affect individuals with special needs development? 3. How have families been instrumental in obtaining services for individuals with special needs or exceptional children? 4. What trends show that individuals with special needs or exceptional individuals are becoming more integrated into society?
1. Who are the individuals with special needs or exceptional children? 2. Characteristics of those with special needs or Exceptional Children 3. Identifying students with special needs
4. Methods of educational provisions
5. Instructional strategies
6. Changing perspectives on special needs children or exceptional children 7. Environmental influences on special needs children or exceptional individuals 8. Families of special needs children or exceptional children 9. The special needs children and the school
10. The special needs children in the society
11. Issues Related To The Special Needs Children
12. Inclusive Education in Malaysia: Country Report
1. Who Are the Exceptional Children or Children with Special Need 2. Who Are the Exceptional Children or Children with Special Need
Special education is the education of students with special needs or exceptional children in a way that addresses the students' individual differences and needs. Ideally, this process involves the individually planned and systematically monitored arrangement of teaching procedures, adapted equipment and materials, accessible settings, and other interventions designed to help learners with special needs achieve a higher level of personal self-sufficiency and success in school and community. Some of the common special needs of these children include: challenges with learning, communication challenges, emotional and behavioral disorders, physical disabilities, and developmental disorders. Special needs students benefit from additional educational services such as different approaches to teaching, use of technology, a specifically adapted teaching area, or resource room. We define a child with special needs or exceptional child as a child who differs from the average or normal child in 1) mental characteristics,
2) sensory abilities,
3) communication abilities,
4) behavior and emotional development,
4) children with multiple and severe handicapping conditions, or 5) physical characteristics.
These differences must occur to such an extent that in order to develop his or her unique capabilities, the child requires a modification of school practices, or special educational services.
Perhaps the definition given is quite general. You might be asking: what is meant by average or normal? What is special education? How do we decide whether the child...