Chemistry In Everyday Life
Chemistry in everyday life :
Our entire universe is made up of matter which is constantly changing forms and evolving into other forms of energy. Chemistry is defined as the study or science of this ever changing matter. The other sciences which we study commonly like biology, physics and mathematics are all dependent on chemistry and are only specific studies under the elaborate subject of chemistry. Chemistry is also seen in biological forms and physical states of nature and we study it in subjects called biochemistry and physical chemistry which help us study these changes. There are many chemical changes which occur around us every day but we are never aware of them.
Chemistry in Everyday Life Examples:
1) Water, which is one of the most important part of our live and occupies 70% of the earth's surface is made by two chemical elements, hydrogen and oxygen.
2) Soap is an emulsifier which allows oil and water to mix and so the oily mixtures on body and clothes can be removed after application of soap and water.
3) Chemistry is the reason why vegetables are colored. Colored vegetables consist of chemical compounds called carotenoids which have an area known as the chromophore. It absorbs certain wavelengths of light and thus there are colored vegetables.
4) Food is cooked because of the steam that's present either in the water added or that which is present inside the food items.
5) Onions make you cry due to the presence of sulfur in the cells which break after the onions are cut. This sulfur gets mixed with moisture and thus irritates your eyes.
6) You feel hungry because of the satiety center in your brain falls short of particular hormones to function and then sends the signal of hunger.
7) You fall in love, get attracted and have a feeling of belonging because of certain monoamines present in your brain which get stimulated through nerve sensors.