SHORT ANSWER Answer the following questions in the space provided. 1. Write formulas for the following compounds:
CuCO3 a. copper(II) carbonate
Na2SO3 b. sodium sulfite
(NH4)3PO4 c. ammonium phosphate
SnS2 d. tin(IV) sulfide
HNO2 e. nitrous acid
2. Write the Stock names for the following compounds:
magnesium perchlorate a. Mg(ClO4)2
iron(II) nitrate b. Fe(NO3)2
iron(III) nitrite c. Fe(NO2)3
cobalt(II) oxide d. CoO
nitrogen(V) oxide e. dinitrogen pentoxide
3. 13 atoms a. How many atoms are represented by the formula Ca(HSO4)2? 4.0 mol b. How many moles of oxygen atoms are in a 0.50 mol sample of this compound?
+6 c. Assign the oxidation number to sulfur in the HSO4 _ anion. 4. Assign the oxidation number to the element specified in each of the following: +1 a. hydrogen in H2O2
_1 b. hydrogen in MgH2
0 c. sulfur in S8
+4 d. carbon in (CO3)2_
+6 e. chromium in Na2Cr2O7
+4 f. nitrogen in NO2
5. c, b, d, a Following are samples of four different compounds. Arrange them in order of increasing mass, from smallest to largest.
a. 25 g of oxygen gas c. 3 X 1023 molecules of C2H6
b. 1.00 mol of H2O d. 2 X 1023 molecules of C2H6O2
6. NaOH a. What is the formula for sodium hydroxide?
40.00 g/mol b. What is the formula mass of sodium hydroxide? 10. g c. What is the mass in grams of 0.25 mol of sodium hydroxide? 7. 80% C, 20% H What is the percentage composition of ethane gas, C2H6, to the nearest whole number?
8. C5H10O5 Ribose is an important sugar (part of RNA),with a molar mass of 150.15 g/mol. If its empirical formula is CH2O, what is its molecular formula?
9. Butane gas, C4H10, is often used as a fuel.
174 g a. What is the mass in grams of 3.00 mol of butane?
1.81 X 1024 molecules b. How many molecules are present in that 3.00 mol sample? C2H5 c. What is the empirical formula of the gas?
10. C10H8 Naphthalene is a soft covalent solid that is often used in mothballs. Its molar mass is...