Electronegativity Table: use this table to answer Q
1. Bromine tends to form a monatomic ion which has the electronic configuration of a noble gas. What is the electron configuration of that noble gas?
a. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4p6
b. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4p6 4d10
c. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 4p6
d. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6
e. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10
2. Which ion of uranium has a noble gas configuration?
3. Which ion has a noble gas configuration?
4. Give the ground state electron configuration and number of unpaired electrons for V3+.
a. [Ar] 3d1; 2 unpaired electrons
b. [Ar] ; 1 unpaired electron c. [Ar] 3d2; 2 unpaired electrons d. [Ar] 3d3; 3 unpaired electrons
e. [Ar] 3d4; 4 unpaired electrons
5. Which metal ion is expected to have the electron configuration, [Kr]4d4? a. Mn2+
6. Which species below has the least number of valence electrons in its Lewis symbol?
7. Which element below has six electrons surrounding its Lewis symbol?
8. Which species has the most valence electrons in its Lewis symbol? (NOTE: the question has only one choice, Nothing wrong in it, just compare between the two choices and choose the one with more valence electrons)
9. The atoms in the nitrogen molecule, N2, are held together by
a. a single covalent bond
b. a double covalent bond
c. a triple covalent bond
d. an ionic bond
e. a magnetic dipole bond
10. The Lewis symbol for the carbon atom has __ valence electrons. The number of covalent bonds which carbon usually forms in order to complete its valence shell and obey the octet rule is ___.
a. 4, 1
b. 4, 2
c. 2, 4
d. 4, 3
11. Which bond is the most polar?
12. Arrange the following in terms of increasing electronegativity values. i. Ga, P, As, Ge (you will find an answer if you follow the table of electronegativity that is given and the trend in the periodic table, )
a. P < Ga < Ge < As
b. As < P < Ga < Ge
c. Ga < Ge < As < P
d. Ge < P < As < Ga
e. Ga < P < As < Ge
13. Based on electronegativity considerations, which species should be the strongest oxidizing agent?
14. Arrange the following in terms of decreasing electronegativity values. i. P, O, As, S Use the electronegativity table which is given above)
a. P > O > S > As
b. As > P > S > O
c. S > O > As > P
d. O > S > P > As
e. O > P > As > S
15. In the chlorine monoxide molecule, chlorine has a charge of +0.167 e-. If the bond length is 154.6 pm, calculate the dipole moment of the molecule in debyes.
a. 3.11 D
b. 2.30 D
c. 0.167 D
e. 1.65 D
16. Draw a Lewis structure for CH2Cl2. Based on this Lewis structure, the calculated value for the formal charge on the carbon atom is...