1. Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed into ________; water-soluble vitamins are absorbed into ________. - the lymph; capillaries
2. Why does an individual need to make sure that they consume water-soluble vitamins more often than fat-soluble vitamins? - In general, the body can call upon its stores of fat-soluble vitamins; whereas, most water-soluble vitamins are not stored. 3. All of the following are characteristics of the fat-soluble vitamins EXCEPT: - they are easily absorbed and excreted in urine.
1. Which of these is a fat-soluble vitamin?
- vitamin K
2. Which of the following adults is most likely to suffer from osteomalacia? - vegan
3. Vitamin D promotes the absorption of what two minerals that are essential to bone health? - calcium and phosphorus
4. How does soft drink consumption contribute to poor bone health? - the consumption of soft drinks often displaces vitamin D-fortified milk in the diet 5. Which of these is a key antioxidant vitamin?
- vitamin C
Ch. 7 Review
1. Which of the following are classified as water-soluble vitamins? - B, C
2. All of the following are characteristics of the fat-soluble vitamins EXCEPT: - they are easily absorbed and excreted in urine.
3. Which vitamin may be deficient in people who rely solely on fat replacers and fat-free foods to the exclusion of real fat? - E
4. Neural tube defects are believed to be related to a woman's niacin intake before and during pregnancy. - False
5. The antioxidant vitamins are:
- vitamin E, vitamin C, and beta-carotene.
6. Vitamin C supplements may enhance iron absorption, making iron overload likely in some people. - True
7. All of the following individuals should consider taking a self-chosen multi-nutrient supplement EXCEPT: - people with kidney or liver disease.
8. All of the following are correct about beriberi EXCEPT:
- it is due to a niacin deficiency.
9. The best-known role of vitamin D is to:
- help maintain blood calcium and...