Study Guide Chapter 20
1. James Garfield was the twentieth President of the USA. 2. Laissez Faire was an economic policy in which the government does not interfere with the economy. 3. Greenback Party was against monopolies.
4. Sherman Silver Purchase Act almost authorized the coinage of silver. 5. Chester Arthur was the 21st president of the united states. 6. Pendleton Civil Service Act that men and women must be paid the same amount for jobs worth the same ‘value.’ 7. Grover Cleveland became president twice, but not consecutively. 8. Benjamin Harrison was the grandson of William Harrison. 9. McKinely tariff raised the tariff on imports 50%.
10. Populist party was the major party of the poor farmers of the south. 11. Literacy tests were tests given at voting polls to prevent African Americans from voting, even though they were allowed to from the 15th amendment. 12. Lynching were the way that white people randomly hanged and killed black people. 13. Plessy Vs. Ferguson was a landmark court case in Louisiana stating that you can have segregated rail cars as long as they had equal amenities. 14. Brooker T. Washington was an African American intellectual that said blacks should quit complaining and instead work on going up the economic ladder. 15. Election of 1892 was the elction between Cleveland and Harrison. 16. Panic of 1893 was the collapse of railroad overbuilding and shaky railroad financing, resulting in a series of bank failures. 17. Alfred T. Mahan was a famous commander.
18. Samoan Islalands were a territority the USA
19. Liliuokalani was the queen of Hawaii during the Hawaiian Annexation. 20. Hawaiian Annexation was the annexation of Hawaii as an American territory. 21. Yellow Journalism is the use of headlines to catch attention 22. US Battleship Maine was blown up in Cuba and was a major cause of the Spanish American War. 23. Spanish American...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document