Chanda’s Secrets In-Class Essay
Over three class periods, write a formal essay in response to ONE of the topics below. Support your analysis with at least six quotations from the novel. Your essay should be a minimum of 500 words.
Day 1 - Prepare to Write the Essay
You may use the text and your class notes to complete this task.
1. With a partner, take 15 minutes to brainstorm approaches to each of the topics listed on the back of this sheet.
2. Individually, choose ONE topic to focus on.
3. Use the handout (graphic organizer) provided and your character mind map to complete an outline for your essay.
← Find supporting evidence and pull quotes from the text and your notes. ← Develop a working thesis for your essay.
← Develop an organizational plan for your essay (use point, proof, analysis). ← Hint: Label your quotations “A”, “B”,
“C”, etc. to help you save time on Day Two. This sheet will be approved by the teacher before you begin Day Two of the essay process.
7. N.B. Don’t forget to write down the information you will need for your Works Cited page!
Day 2 – Write the First Draft
You may only use the single sheet you prepared in class last day and your mind map. You may also bring a print dictionary.
Write the rough draft of your essay in class. Double space your work so you have room for editing and revision. (Don’t waste time copying your quotations onto this draft; simply indicate where you plan to put quotation “A”, quotation “B” etc.) Hand it in at the end of class.
Day 3 – Edit and Complete the Final Draft
Your draft will be returned to you for editing and revising.
1. Revise your rough draft to ensure that you have:
□ a strong thesis
□ a clear organizational plan (point, proof, analysis)
□ transition words
□ insightful arguments
□ smoothly embedded...