CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR OB:
Responding to globalization:
* Increased foreign assignments.
* Working with people from different cultures.
* Coping with anti-capitalism backlash.
* Overseeing movement of jobs to countries with low – cost labour.
Managing workforce diversity:
* Embracing diversity.
* Whereas globalization focuses on differences among people from different countries, workforce diversity addresses differences among people within given countries. * Implications of managers.
* Recognising and responding to differences.
Improving quality and productivity:
a) Total Quality Management (TQM):
A philosophy of management that is driven by the constant attainment of customer satisfaction through the continuous improvement of all organizational processes.
1. Intense focus on the customer.
2. Concern for continuous improvement.
3. Improvement in the quality of everything the organization does. 4. Accurate measurement.
5. Empowerment of employees.
b) Reengineering :
Reconsiders how work would be done and the organization structured if they were being created from scratch. "It asks managers to reconsider how work would be done and their organization structured if they were starting over"
Responding to the labour shortage:
* Changing workforce demographics.
* Fewer skilled labourers.
* Early retirements and older workers.
Improving customer service:
* Increased expectation of service quality.
* Customer-responsive cultures.
Putting employees in charge of what they do. Decision making is being pushed down to the operating level,where workers are being given the freedom to make choices about schedules and procedures and to solve work-related problems.
Coping with temporariness:
Today's managers and employees must learn to cope with temporariness. They have to learn to live with flexibility, spontaneity, and unpredictability. The study...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document