Challenges Insurance Compnies Are Facing in Developing Tied Agency Distribution Channel

Topics: Insurance, Underwriting, Endowment policy Pages: 19 (4393 words) Published: August 26, 2012
Challenges in developing tied agency channel by insurance companies

Submitted by:

Stuti Vohra


Company Profile:
SBI Life Insurance, one of the leading insurers in India, is a joint venture between State Bank of India and BNP Paribas Assurance. While State Bank of India (SBI) is India's largest banking franchise, on the other hand, BNP Paribas Assurance is a unit of the renowned BNP Paribas - one of the leading banks in Eurozone. SBI Life Insurance follows a unique multi-distribution model that encompasses corporate solutions distribution channels, retail agencies, institutional alliances and bancassurance. It also uses the SBI Group as a platform to cross-sell insurance as well as banking product packages like personal loans and housing loans etc. |

SBI Life Insurance, with an authorized capital of ` 2,000 crores and paid-up capital of ` 1,000 crores, has become a substantial player in Indian insurance sector. The access to more than 100 million accounts of SBI has also acted as the driving force behind the success of the company. SBI Life Insurance also has an extensive network of agency channel where more than 68,000 insurance advisors work towards growth of the organization, offering door-to-door insurance solutions to the customers.

In SBI Life Insurance, the State Bank of India holds 74% of the capital share, while BNP Paribas Assurance holds the remaining 26%. SBI Life Insurance has crafted its name by providing quality insurance services to its wide range of customers. Its ISO 9001:2000 certification speaks for its quality. SBI Life Insurance has also been assigned iAAA rating by the ICRA for its highest claims paying ability. In 2007, it became the first Indian life insurer to get AAA rating from CRISIL. In the next year, Outlook Money NDTV Profit adjudged it as the 'Best Life Insurer - 2008'. In 2009, SBI Life Insurance achieved the unique distinction to emerge as the global top in terms of Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) members with 2,677 members.

SBI Life Insurance became the first Life Insurer in India to make profits in the financial year 2005-06. It maintained the same record in the next year as well. In 2007-08, a survey by 'Brand Equity' rated SBI Life as 'The Most Trusted Private Life Insurer' In the same year, the company achieved CMMI Level 3 certification to become the first Indian insurer to have that.

Protection Plans are low cost insurance plans which are specially designed to provide full protection & financial stability to insurer’s family in case of any unforeseen events. SBI Life presents range of attractive protection plans so that a person can continue to celebrate life without worrying about the uncertainities of life. * Pure Protection Products

* SBI Life - Swadhan
* SBI Life - Shield
* Protection cum Savings Products
* SBI Life - Scholar II
* SBI Life - Shubh Nivesh

One may have plans for his/her loved ones. It makes perfect sense to prepare well in advance with saving plan combined with life insurance cover. SBI Life’s plans will help the person to plan for his/her savings, be it his/her child’s wedding or education, buying a house or dream vacation.

Savings Products
* SBI Life-Smart Money Back Insurance
* SBI Life-Flexi Smart Insurance
* SBI Life-Sanjeevan Supreme
* SBI Life-Shubh Nivesh
* SBI Life-Saral Life

Unit Linked Insurance Plans are long term investment cum protection plans that offer an opportunity of availing market linked returns while providing life insurance protection. Depending on one’s risk appetite,they...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Channels of Distribution for Insurance Products Essay
  • Essay about Channel Distribution of Aviva Life Insurance
  • Challenges Facing the Insurance Industry and How to Overcome Them Essay
  • Internet as a Insurance Distribution Channel Essay
  • Challenges Facing Developing Countries Essay
  • Distribution Channel Research Paper
  • insurance Essay
  • Essay on Distribution Channel

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free