1. A major argument against formal plans is that they can’t replace intuition and creativity. (True)
2. Directional plans have clearly defined objectives.
3. In MBO, or management by objectives, goals are often less well-defined, giving managers and employees more flexibility to respond to changing conditions. (False)
4. SWOT analysis includes an analysis of an organization’s environmental opportunities and threats. (True;)
5. One method of implementing a growth strategy is to develop new products. (True)
6. A retrenchment strategy is used when an organization reduces its size or sells off less profitable product lines. (True)
7. Benchmarking is a specific form of environmental scanning. (True)
8. Gaining ISO 9000 certification provides proof that a quality operations system is in place. (True)
For each of the following choose the answer that most completely answers the question.
9. Planning involves defining the organization’s goals, establishing an overall strategy for achieving those goals, and developing a comprehensive set of plans _____________. a.as to which shift will perform what work functions
b.to determine which manager will be in charge of which department c.to integrate and coordinate work activities
d.to establish the quality and quantity of work to be accomplished (c;)
10. In informal planning, __________ sharing of goals with others in the organization. a.everything may be written down, but there is little or no b.everything is written down, and there is
c.nothing is written down, and there is little or no
d.nothing is written down; therefore management does a lot of (c)
11. Informal planning is _________.
a.performed at the lowest organizational level
b.general and lacks continuity
c.developed in informal meetings at a resort
d.specific and is developed by the middle managers for their department (b;)
12. In formal planning, _________.
a.specific goals covering a period of years are defined
b.specific goals are developed and not written
c.general goals are developed and not written
d.general goals covering an unspecified period of years are defined (a;)
13. Strategic plans apply to the entire organization, establish the organization’s overall goals, and ____________. a.guide the organization toward maximizing organizational profits for the stockholders b.attempt to satisfy all government regulations while maximizing profits c.satisfy the organization’s stakeholders
d.seek to position the organization in terms of its environment (d;)
14. Tactical plans specify the details of ___________.
a.what department performs which functional process to accomplish the goals b.what materials are required for which product being produced c.when each product model is to be produced
d.how the overall goals are to be achieved
15. Strategic plans tend to cover a longer period of time than tactical goals and also _____________. a.cover a more narrow view of the organization
b.cover the financial projections of the planning period c.cover a broader view of the organization
d.include an estimate of the profits that the stockholder can anticipate as dividends (c;)
16. When we categorize plans as being directional versus specific, we are categorizing them by ____________. a.breadth
c.frequency of use
17. When we categorize plans as being single-use versus standing, we categorize them by ____________. a.breadth
c.frequency of use
18. Directional plans _____________.
a.have clearly defined objectives
b.identify general guidelines
c.meet the needs of a unique situation
d.last for 3–5 years