Censorship in China

Topics: People's Republic of China, Republic of China, Internet censorship in the People's Republic of China Pages: 6 (2063 words) Published: April 28, 2013
Internet Censorship in China: Keeping China from @$%#$%!

It has become increasingly evident in recent times, that the Chinese government is continuously reinforcing their internet firewall, substantially censoring their people from access to such sites as Google, You Tube, Facebook, and Twitter, in an effort to smother perceived antigovernment sentiment among the citizens of China. Internet censorship in China is considered by many to be the most stringent in the world. Keith Bradsher said, “A complex government computer system intercepts internet communication with an ever-changing list of banned web sites and key words that block access to the people of China.” Virtual Private Networks or VPN's is a tool for encrypted computer networks that was created by business computer experts, as a means circumventing China's lengthening list of web sites considered politically sensitive ( Bradsher). China this past year has aggressively stepped up its efforts of blocking the countries deemed illegally run VPN's. China's internet security apparatus maintains the Communist party's lock on political power, while attempting not to choke off their growing position on the global economy. This recent very intrusive Chinese Communist censorship machine that is continuing to step-up efforts of plugging more of the gaps of desired internet perceived threat, has been termed as the internet's "Great Firewall." China's "Great Firewall" according to VPN provider, Astrill, published a message saying that an update to the "Great Firewall" gave China's internet police the ability to learn, discover, and block VPN protocols automatically (Mark McDonald). China has further toughened its restriction of internet use by assigning Chinese companies greater responsibility for deleting forbidden postings with serious threatened consequences to those companies not deemed abiding to the deletion participation requirements (Sharon LaFraniere).

The Chinese culture is one of the world's oldest cultures (Alex Colgan). It is the oldest continuous major world civilization, with records dating back 3500 years. (Alex Colgan). The area in which in which the culture is dominant covers a large geographical region in eastern Asia with customs and traditions varying greatly between provinces, cities, and even towns. The total area of the country is approximately 3.7 million square miles, consisting of 23 provinces, five autonomous regions, including Tibet, four municipalities, and as of December 31, 2012 includes a population of 1.35 billion people of world’s estimated population of 7 billion, estimated by both the United Nations and the United States Census Bureau (Andy). Two thirds of China literacy rate, with Mandarin being the dominant language with many local variations of local dialects (Alex Colgan). There are seven major Chinese dialects and many sub-dialects. Mandarin the predominant dialect is spoken by over 70% of the population and is taught in all schools and is the medium of government. In the southwest and southeast there are six other major Chinese dialects spoken. Non-Chinese languages are spoken by the ethnic minorities and include Monglian, Tibetan, Uygur, and other Turkic languages, as well as Korean which is spoken in the northeast region of China. “The Han Chinese people make up 91.9% of the population, with Zhuang, Manchu, Hui, Miao, Uygur, Yi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Buyi , Korean, and other nationalities making up the remaining 8.1 % of the people of China” (Alex Colgan). Important components of the Chinese culture include education with a heavy emphasis on science, mathematics and technology. Also, music, literature, visual arts, martial arts, cuisine, and architecture are also important cultural areas of emphasis and interest in China.

China is governed by a one-party system with a powerful control lying within the Chinese Communist party. The Chinese Communist party was founded by Chen Duxiu and Li Dazhao in 1921. Today, it...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Internet Censorship in China
  • Essay about Censorship in China
  • Censorship: the Great Firewall of China Essay
  • Essay about internet police in China
  • Google China Essay
  • Internet Restriction in China Research Paper
  • Good Internet Censorship Essay
  • Google's Failure in China Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free