People migrate for many reasons, including economic and political
ones, but underlying there is the desire for change and the challenge of life in a new environment. Only this can really account for the vast population movements, often under extremely difficult conditions, which have been taking place throughout history. It is often the idea of a new life or the search for a Promised Land more, than any concrete gain, which sets people on the move leaving such reasons aside however there are other clear cut motives for migration.
Much attention has been dissected towards the formulation of theories to explain causes of migration. As early as the 1880’s E.G. Ravenstein made a detailed study of migration statistics ‘and presented papers on “ The laws of Migration’ in which the following principles were proposed:
(1) The great body of migrants only proceed a short distance and consequently there takes place a universal shifting or displacement of the population, which produces currents of migration, selling in The direction of the great centers of commerce and industry which absorb the migration
(2) Migration occurs in Series of stages. The inhabitants of a country immediately surrounding a town of rapid growth flock into it The Gaps thus left by the rural population are filled up by the migrants from more remote districts , Until the attractive force of a rapidly growing cities make its influences felt, step by step, to the most remote corner of the country.
(3)The process of dispersion is the reverse of that of absorption and r features.
(4) Migration proceeding long distances generally go by preference to one of the great centers of commerce and industry.
(5) Each main stream of migration produces a compensating counter current.
(6) The natives of towns are less migratory than those of the rural parts of the country.
(7) Females are more migratory than males over short distances.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2009, 02). Causes or Reasons for Migration or (Human Movement). StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2009, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-Or-Reasons-For-Migration-Or-192486.html
"Causes or Reasons for Migration or (Human Movement)" StudyMode.com. 02 2009. 2009. 02 2009 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-Or-Reasons-For-Migration-Or-192486.html>.
- MLA 7
"Causes or Reasons for Migration or (Human Movement)." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2009. Web. 02 2009. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-Or-Reasons-For-Migration-Or-192486.html>.
"Causes or Reasons for Migration or (Human Movement)." StudyMode.com. 02, 2009. Accessed 02, 2009. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-Or-Reasons-For-Migration-Or-192486.html.